Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Old shotgun info

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Old shotgun info

Picked up an old shot gun at a sale.It's a SxS 16Ga./28 inch damascus barrels.On top of one barrel it has"New era nitro hammerless"and the other"syracuse arms company, syracuse New York" The gun has light engraving,And a duck carved into the stock.Serial #11349,pat 9-26-1893.

How old? Whats it worth?

Thanks!
Joe

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2010, 03:41 AM   #2

any pics? Thanks.

Old 04-12-2010, 06:55 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I live in Syracuse. Never heard of that. LOL.
I'm interested in seeing this as well.

Old 04-12-2010, 12:00 PM   #4

I have pic's,I just don't know how to post them.I could E-mail them to you?

Old 04-12-2010, 06:30 PM   #5

Mtgman, go to the FAQ section of the Board and look for help referring to posting pics.

Old 04-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8316 Times on 3595 Posts
Likes Given: 1280

Syracuse Arms Company was an firearms manufacturing company located in Syracuse, New York that produced firearms between 1888 and 1908. Syracuse had a number of shotgun makers, including Baker, LC Smith, and LaFever.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM   #7

From about 1880 to 1930, there were several manufacturers and importers in the U.S. that supplied double-barreled shotguns to anyone who would order them. Made largely with Damascus barrels, virtually none are safe to shoot as they are. They not only made them under their own name, but each engraved or stamped with their individual trade name or names. Hence cane's sticky at the top of the shotgun forum.

Old 04-21-2010, 09:04 PM   #8

Default 1861 enfield

Hi, I'm new to all of this but have a quick question for you guys..My grandfather is getting rid of a 1861 enfield gun. What is it worth? I have no idea.It is in pretty good shape.On the side of the barrel lots of numbers.A crown with a v.r onthe side. Anyone know what I'm talking about.thanks

Old 04-21-2010, 09:34 PM   #9

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default cool

Excerpts from The Firing Line Forum and Firearms Forum Questions and answers from Shotgun Tom and WarPig:
The 16-bore Syracuse gun was first listed in Syracuse Arms Company catalogs in 1901 (the 20-bore in 1902), and it was offered in all grades from Grade OO, the lowest, to Grade D, the highest; and ranging in suggested retail price from $30 to $475. Major manufacturing modifications to the frame and barrels occurred in 1902, and again in late 1903 or early 1904; therefore it is difficult for the novice to determine which variation of the Syracuse gun he may own. For assistance in this regard, I suggest you acquire back issues of the Double Gun Journal having articles on the Syracuse gun; as these articles represent the most comprehensive work done to date on the various models of the Syracuse gun and the Syracuse Arms Company. Small bore SAC guns (the 16 and 20) are not very common, as these models were introduced late in the life of the company; and it appears actual production had ceased by mid-1905 (certainly by 1906). Most 16-bore examples seen today are in Grade 0 and Grade 2, both plain models will a small flourish of engraving around the lock pins. The simplest way to determine grade is as follows: The Grade 0 will be roll-stamped "New Twist" for barrel steel type atop the barrels, the Grade 2 gun will have "Improved Damascus" roll-stamped atop the barrels, the Grade 3 gun will have the same barrel steel as the Grade 2 gun but will feature 40-50% line and scoll engraving coverage. The Grade A, A-1, B, C, and D guns will feature finer Damacus barrels for each grade or have optional Krupp barrels (Whitworth with the Grade D gun); and the engraving will be as follows: The Grade A gun will be engraved very similar to the style featured on the Grade 3 gun (line and scroll), the A-1 will have finer line and scroll work and two birds on either side of the frame, the Grade B will feature lots of fine scroll and a single pointing dog on either side of the frame, the Grade C gun will feature very fine scroll with full coverage and dogs and birds, the Grade D will feature the finest scroll with double dogs and birds and unique frame sculpting. Stocks for each grade become more elaborate as to carving and checkering patterns with finer pointed diamonds in the checkering panels. The highest grades are somewhat scarce and collectible, and will bring a decent price if in good original condition (although nothing remotely close to the prices paid for Parkers, Smiths, Lefevers, and Foxes). Low grades with little remaining finish have little value; although there is a limited collector demand for low grade SAC guns with lots of remaining original finishes and no aftermarket alterations. I hope you find this information somewhat helpful.
Production records for the Syracuse Arms Company no longer exist, so there is no way to provide an exact shipping date on your gun. From personal research I can tell you the following: Triplet Steel barrels were first introduced by SAC on their Grade OO gun in 1901. Triplet Steel was SAC's moniker for the type of fluid steel barrels used on this grade gun; and they later used this same barrel steel on a limited run of Syracuse hammer guns introduced in 1904, but these were the only two models of SAC guns advertised as being available with Triplet Steel barrels. The frames of SAC guns were strengthened in 1902 (wider top strap and lengthened frame sides); and their top fastener modified to what SAC advertised as a "double cross bolt". This change occurred around serial number 24,500 (give or take a few numbers either way); adn based on that fact, I would speculate your gun was manufactured in late 1902 or early 1903. In 1902 and 1903, the Grade OO gun was the least expensive SAC gun and carried a suggested retail of $30; not an insignificant sum at the turn of the last century.

Best i can come up with

Old 04-22-2010, 02:13 AM   #10

Liked 72 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Quote:
Originally Posted by judy View Post
Hi, I'm new to all of this but have a quick question for you guys..My grandfather is getting rid of a 1861 enfield gun. What is it worth? I have no idea.It is in pretty good shape.On the side of the barrel lots of numbers.A crown with a v.r onthe side. Anyone know what I'm talking about.thanks
Condition is everything but a ballpark figure would be 1000-1500.