Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Old Reming 870 Wingmaster Barrel Question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-12-2012, 06:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Old Reming 870 Wingmaster Barrel Question

Hey all, first time poster and I have a question about my Remington 870 Wingmaster. It's a slightly older model, I think it was made some time around the late 70s early 80s. I love the thing but I want to remove the 30 inch barrel and replace it with a 18-20 inch barrel. I've heard that newer Wingmaster barrels are built to different specs, and won't fit. I don't think this would be true, but I figure it'd be better to ask before going through with any purchases. Thanks for reading.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-12-2012, 08:26 AM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 7

There are aftermarket barrels available for early and late models. I have a late model police gun that I use a early model bird barrel on, also. The only difference I see is the detent ball that retains the magazine tube retaining nut. Early didn't have it. Late model does.

I suggest you identify the barrel you want, then call the manufacturer (you aren't limited to Remy barrels) with the part number and tell them your application. They will give you a firm answer.

Old 12-12-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

I think you got that backwards. The early models did have the detent in the magazine ring, and the newer ones use the "green monster" saw toothed plastic thing inside the mag tube. A 3/32" 'O' ring will hold the mag cap on just fine. All the barrels will fit. If you have a 2-3/4" receiver gun, 3" hulls may not eject properly even if fired from a 3" chambered barrel. Ejector is different.

What could have happened... did.

hiwall Likes This 
Old 12-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #4

Liked 653 Times on 514 Posts

the eject port isnt as big either on the 2 3/4".

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Old 12-13-2012, 12:13 AM   #5

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

The receivers on the older 2-3/4" guns and the 3" Magnum guns are identical. The ejection port is the exact same size. The ejector and ejector spring are different. I have converted several. Some 2-3/4" guns made it out the door with a 3" ejector/ejector spring set up, so check. You may get lucky.

What could have happened... did.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:30 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 480

If you have a regular gunsmith he should order the proper barrel for you. I got my 28" rem choke barrel from Buds Gun Shop. Once you identify the barrel you want shop it out. Prices vary from vendor to vendor. Since you want a security barrel an aftermarket barrel might serve you just as well if not better. Aftermarket barrels are less expensive.