old model A5 auto 12 ga

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > old model A5 auto 12 ga

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-21-2009, 11:29 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default old model A5 auto 12 ga

Guys i have an old model A5 browning serial number 9538 this is stamped right in front of where shells are loaded on bottom of reciever.The stamp on the barrel says manufactured by remington arms co. browning pats oct 8,1900, dec.17,1901, sept.30 1902, june 18,1903.there is also a stamp on the left side that says ERR3 and another on the rightside of the barrel that says (R.E.P.P). iT HAS THE SAFTY LOCATED DIRECTLY IN FRONT OF THR TRIGGER (PRETTY SCARY DESIGN). wondering what this guns value may be it is fair contition most of blue is gone.

Last edited by garyalaska; 06-21-2009 at 11:37 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-22-2009, 01:47 AM   #2
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

Gary,What you have is a Remington Model 11. Remington made them under the Browning patent #'s before J.Browning had a contract with FN to produce them.
I have one that was made in 1906. It had seen it's better days,so I had it bead blasted and parkerized and then refinished the original stocks but then put a set of Ramline synthetic stocks on it. Now it is an evil black shotgun,LOL. I hunt with it all the time,they are made to last,and tough as hell.

Value varies with condition,and gun market.

rem11-11-.jpg   rem11-9-.jpg  

Old 06-22-2009, 03:22 AM   #3

tx- thanks for the reply. I had always been told it was an a5 but it is the exact gun in your photo.So learned something new today do you shoot yours often? Mine has been in the safe probably not shot in 20 years.Was a little leary to use it with the age of it.

Old 06-23-2009, 01:55 AM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1196 Times on 686 Posts
Likes Given: 575

I shoot mine all the time,I wish I could find a barrel with a modified or imp cyl choke for a decent price,most of them have a full choke. If you are worried about shooting it,just have a trusted gunsmith check it out for you.These shotguns are almost indestructable,and you can still find just about any parts you may need if something is broke or missing.If your stock and forearm are still in good condition and you want to keep them that way,I would get a set of the Ramline stocks for it. Alot of people ruin the stocks by not setting up the friction rings correctly for what shells they shoot and end up cracking the forearm and buttstock.

J.Browning was a genius,and designed some of the finest guns ever made. There are several different guns that he designed,and other mfg's produced.I also have an early 1930's pump shotgun that he designed,and Stevens produced it,a Stevens 520,and it is also a very well made shotgun.

You can never go wrong with a gun J.Browning designed!

stevens-520.jpg