Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > O/U or Semi auto for clays?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2013, 01:44 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts

Default O/U or Semi auto for clays?

I was considering getting an O/U for clay shooting but after reading about some of the pros and cons of O/U I'm now thinking a semi auto. The weather by SA-08 looks appealing and the reviews look great. But are there any other suggestions or thoughts on shotgun models?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1009 Times on 567 Posts
Likes Given: 395

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunsmith91 View Post
I was considering getting an O/U for clay shooting but after reading about some of the pros and cons of O/U I'm now thinking a semi auto. The weather by SA-08 looks appealing and the reviews look great. But are there any other suggestions or thoughts on shotgun models?
IMO, not so humbly, anything made by Benelli. Possibly a Vinci, or a Montefeltro if you want wood furniture.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:07 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1042 Times on 672 Posts
Likes Given: 5349

Find out what some of your friends a running, and ask if you can try out their shotgun for a round or two. That way, you will know if a particular model or make will work well for you or if it won't. I myself use either my grandfather's old Stevens Springfield double, or my Kessler model 30C with a Komp-Choke on the end of the barrel. I have used other guys' shotguns on na few occasions (Hey man, you wanna trade for this round? Sounds good. I've ben eyeballin' your's since you took it out of the case.), and I enjoyed using the SA-08 and the Vinci.

Point is, if you are considering one and someone you know has one, see if you can try their's out before you pass your cash over the counter. Nothing sucks more than spending the money, and then finding out what you bought just doesn't feel right out on the line. Best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
Home Sweet Home!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16977 Times on 9833 Posts
Likes Given: 44230

back years ago when i did shoot sporting clays, very few people used anything but an O/U shotgun. so this was what i naturally used as well.

very seldom saw someone using a semi-auto or even a pump. did see a few from time to time though.

personally, i would use a O/U, but you need to use what fits you and works best for you.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:07 PM   #5

Liked 608 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 12

My personal fav is a Browning Citori. It's an O/U semi-auto. You can select which barrel to fire first and they handle great. They are pricey, so alas I don't own one, but I've used them quite a bit in the field busting clays. Great gun, I vote O/U.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:05 AM   #6

Liked 69 Times on 48 Posts

This will just be a casual clay shotgun and with the budget I'm on I can't afford more than $700 Ish.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 AM   #7

Liked 230 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 43

When I first started to shoot a shotgun it was at a friends house...he had a few acres and a few shotguns...so it began. (this was about 10 years ago) We were at his home for some holiday and just started talking about it and suddenly we were in his safe breaking out his shotguns. I couldn't hit the broad side of a barn then, used a 20ga. pump, an old 410 single a 12ga pump. He did have a red label though, and when I started with that, I started hitting the targets...it seemed to fit me well. Whatever worked is what I wound up with...so now I have an O/U, a single and a Mossberg 500 pump. Now a few years later I find that it doesn't matter what gun I use, I shoot about the same with each. And you will have more than one by the time you are finished buying guns...I guarantee that. I think the balance of the O/U, the weight distribution and the overall style was most suited for me.

Old 04-22-2013, 03:02 AM   #8

Liked 464 Times on 287 Posts
Likes Given: 224

If a gun's worth getting then getting a good one is worth it. It would be best buying something of a little better quality.You'll have to save, but you'll really appreciate it after shooting it. Though I have a few costing more my Weatherby Regency OU has been good to me for many years.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #9

Liked 179 Times on 134 Posts

How do you guys think a mossy 930 would do shooting clays?

Old 04-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

I've done it with my 500.

I don't need No stinking signature.