Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   o/u buying help? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/o-u-buying-help-9267/)

janikphoto 12-19-2008 06:42 AM

o/u buying help?

I've been thinking about getting an over/under for a while now. Just something about them, you know? I've been using my remington 100 tac-2 for shooting clays lately, and it does surprisingly well for what it is (18' barrel and open choke doesn't exactly scream clay shooter).

Anyway, I have been watching the pawn shops for a good used one, and looking at sporting goods stores for new ones. I don't want to spend more than $400 for one right now, so it limits my options. If I really get into the sport hardcore, THEN I'll start looking at the $1,000+ models...

So far, bennelli makes the one I like most (about $350 on sale at dick's), but do you have other suggestions?

bwendholt 12-20-2008 02:55 PM

Been There

I was standing in those exact shoes a little over two months ago. I ultimately found a Century International Centurion (made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey and imported by Century Int'l Arms) at a pawn shop and purchased it for $150. I couldn't be happier with such an inexpensive gun. I saw a lot of other, nicer, o/u's at the shops for $500 or less, but couldn't pass up this deal...

Regarding new ones, well, the "Benelli" you mentioned at Dick's is actually a Stoeger. I believe Benelli owns Stoeger, but rest-assured, that's where the relationship ends. I looked at that gun, but didn't like the feel of it, and was more interested in a used gun (I'll spare you the reasons why). A good friend of mine did purchase that gun, and we tested it out with some clay shooting over the Thanksgiving holiday. Every few shots he took, the forend would come loose. Also, It regularly had spent shells jam in the lower barrel - the ejector just wouldn't pull it out - and they were tough to remove! After a few struggles with that I noticed he was having a tough time hitting targets, so I decided to "show him how to shoot." As soon as I shouldered it I noticed the barrel was crooked! Curved about 1/8" to the right in the last 12" or so of the barrel. After arguing with the 'manager' at Dick's (firearm sales are final) they finally gave him store credit and took the gun back. I'm only one opinion, but I'd say keep scoping out the pawn shops.

ranger rick 12-21-2008 03:01 AM

O/U help

With Christmas right around the corner I would start checking out the (Trader paper ) I have found quite a few good deals where people sell off a gun or two to have money to buy presents and usually you can find a good deal if your willing to make a few phone calls or drive a little to check some out

janikphoto 12-21-2008 04:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ranger rick (Post 56785)
With Christmas right around the corner I would start checking out the (Trader paper ) I have found quite a few good deals where people sell off a gun or two to have money to buy presents and usually you can find a good deal if your willing to make a few phone calls or drive a little to check some out

Sounds like a plan. I wish craigslist allowed firearm sales. That would make it easier to find a nice used one locally. Maybe I'll do a search on gunbroker for any dallas area sales... And, I'll check a local pawn shop I know that seems to stock a lot of shotguns. Any brands/models I should avoid?

ranger rick 12-21-2008 04:25 AM

O/U help

As far as what brands to avoid, it's all up to what you can afford, and just remember you get what you pay for. Walmart will still order guns for you, go to their website and you can pick about any model of winchester, remington, or several other brands. If it was me I would go to a local trap and skeet club and just tell the other shooters that your in the market for a new gun and would like to shoot theirs if their willing to let you do so, In my experience they are almost always willing to let you shoot their guns if you show care when using there firearms, Try about a dozen or so differant models and make your own choice as to what you liked and disliked about each model and keep a few notes, Usually most clubs always have a few guys wanting to upgrade and are willing to sell or have one they no longer use, or the clubhouse might even have a few for sale. As far as pawn shops, if you will let them know exactly what you want and are willing to leave a Phone #, they will call you if they have any thing come in. Craigs list doesn't list firearms, but if you word it right you can leave a ad in wanting to buy describing what you are looking for without saying gun or firearm. Also let your local gun shops know you are in the market for a used model and they are always glad to help for a small finders fee.

janikphoto 12-24-2008 05:48 AM

so, I gave up on the cheap o/u models. I decided to buy a remington 870 pump for skeet shooting until i had a big anniversary or birthday, instead. No sense in wasting money on a cheap o/u, you know?!?

well, I guess the in-laws felt my pain, so after I returned with my new 870, they decided to take me back out to Bass Pro Shops and drop $1200 on a new browning o/u for me. Can you believe it?!? What a surprise!!!!!

So, anyway, I now have a browning Cynergy o/u classic field model 12 ga, with a 28" barrel... I can't wait to hit some clay discs with it!!!!!!

hunter Joe 12-24-2008 06:33 PM

It be a real same if it did not fit you. I made a $1200.00 mistake once. It was a Red Label I had to have. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Although, I didn't feel too bad when I sold it.

janikphoto 12-25-2008 04:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hunter Joe (Post 57359)
It be a real same if it did not fit you. I made a $1200.00 mistake once. It was a Red Label I had to have. Couldn't hit the broadside of a barn. Although, I didn't feel too bad when I sold it.

I don't know a ton about nice shotguns yet, but it feels "right" in my hands. we'll see how it does on friday!

stalkingbear 12-25-2008 06:22 PM

My advise would be to save your pennies and find an good lightly used Browning over/under. Check out the Ruger red label as I've had good service with them too but they handle different than an Browning.

janikphoto 12-26-2008 07:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stalkingbear (Post 57500)
My advise would be to save your pennies and find an good lightly used Browning over/under. Check out the Ruger red label as I've had good service with them too but they handle different than an Browning.

too late. Took the new Browning to the range today (thank goodness for a range that's open 365), and now my shoulder hurts! Shoots well... I need more practice, but the gun seems to be top quality.