Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Norinco98 vs. Hawk982

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Norinco98 vs. Hawk982

I've been reading all the posts about the Norinco shotguns on several different forums. It would appear that they are acceptable, if not equal to the more established names.

I like the sights on the 982... The 372 has a cool bottom ejection... H&R has a unique style receiver... and there's a second hand 98/20" at my local shop.

The first three I'll have to pay shipping/FFL fees, and the 98 I can get for about a Cnote less out the door.

My Q?
Is there a quality issue with the earlier model 98 that I should steer clear of it?

thx, Guido

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2009, 04:34 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I've only read good things about the norinco "clones" of our favorite shotguns. I thought long and hard about buying one myself.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:24 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2582 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 197

I handled a Norinco 98 when they first came out. The action felt like it had a pound of sand in it. it was not nearly as nicley finished as an original Winchester. If their QC and finish work have improved since I would consider one.

Old 02-12-2009, 02:21 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

thx for the feedback,

I took the plunge... for $169 (plus tax) it came with 22" & 26" bbls. an improved choke and rifled choke. That's a lot of gun for the money.

Being new to shotguns, I decided not to buy any ammunition for it until I get to the range. Probably the best way to prevent an accident.

Guido

Old 02-14-2009, 09:45 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
I handled a Norinco 98 when they first came out. The action felt like it had a pound of sand in it. it was not nearly as nicley finished as an original Winchester. If their QC and finish work have improved since I would consider one.
All the info I found on the net while researching them last year suggested a few tweaks to the gun. Some polishing, sanding, grinding will make it run real well.