nick on rib
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > nick on rib

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 08:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default nick on rib

i have h&r pardner pump, just got it new recently, finally had the chance to clean it and noticed a nick at the end of the rib. it looks like something hit it at the front corner of the rib, has anyone else bought a new gun with blemishes already on them? this is my first with dings before i even take it out. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-08-2014, 09:23 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

Yes, that is why I have my guns shipped to my gunsmith. My gunsmith sees things I would surely overlook. If the gun is not what I paid for I never see the gun, it is returned to the vendor. When I get a new gun I am like a kid at Christmas, all I am looking for is a box of ammo and a place to shoot.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Old 02-08-2014, 11:45 PM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1757 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 9704

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
i have h&r pardner pump, just got it new recently, finally had the chance to clean it and noticed a nick at the end of the rib. it looks like something hit it at the front corner of the rib, has anyone else bought a new gun with blemishes already on them? this is my first with dings before i even take it out. thanks
Never bought a new one with a scratch or ding, but my grandfather did once. He picked up a brand new 870 in the mid 60s with a scratch on the buttstock, and talked the manager of the Western Auto into giving him 25% off on the price. Passed it on to a friend in the late 70s, and it is now being used by his son. Saw it a couple seasons back, and that scratch is still there. He said he will refinish it at some point, but he will make sure that when he does, granddad's scratch will stay.

I would say contact H$R, and see if they will replace the barrel if it bothers you. If not, look at it this way. You won't lose any sleep over the first blemish you put on it. There is a reason that the first thing I do after buying a truck is to hit the inside of the bed with a ball peen hammer a couple of times. I have yet to agonize over a door ding thanks to doing this.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This 
Old 02-09-2014, 01:05 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

personally for me it comes down to price of the gun, how bad the scratch or ding is and where it's at and whether it affects operation of the gun. scratches and dings can occur durig shipment. that is just a fact of life. it happens no matter how well something may be packaged.

if it was only a very minor scratch or ding, on a gun costing few hundred dollars, and didn't affect it's function, i probably am not going to worry about it. but if i spent several thousands on a very nice custom gun of some sorts, it would be a huge problem for me. the scratch or ding is relative to the value of the gun IMO.

Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 AM   #5

Liked 25 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 4

yea,its not bad just at the right corner of the front of the rib. nothing major but with it new kinda bugs me.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:26 AM   #6
At least my puppy loves me.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Location: Eatonville,Washington. My nearest neighbors are cows.
Liked 1891 Times on 1049 Posts
Likes Given: 5692

We all are particular in our own ways.
I purchased a nice $1400 1911, I have always tried to avoid the slide stop idiot scratch. . . and I've done well here.
But since int's my ECD, it has holster burns to raw metal all over the place. But I WILL NOT GET AN IDIOT SCRATCH.

Ok, so that's my bugaboo.

Regarding your Pardner, You may need to buy another one and have it checked before you complete the transfer.
Then you can toss this one in that back of the pick up like it should be.

Once the gun is transferred, I would expect that one to be considered SOLD!
The last rifle (10/22 takedown) I bought sealed in the box. Didn't see it until I got home.
Since it's my new yard rifle, I will put far more scratches and dents in it myself.

I don't own a safe queen. I do wish that a few of them were still new in box, but I changed their status the day I bought them.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:36 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by KG7IL View Post
We all are particular in our own ways.
I purchased a nice $1400 1911, I have always tried to avoid the slide stop idiot scratch. . . and I've done well here.
But since int's my ECD, it has holster burns to raw metal all over the place. But I WILL NOT GET AN IDIOT SCRATCH.

Ok, so that's my bugaboo.

Regarding your Pardner, You may need to buy another one and have it checked before you complete the transfer.
Then you can toss this one in that back of the pick up like it should be.

Once the gun is transferred, I would expect that one to be considered SOLD!
The last rifle (10/22 takedown) I bought sealed in the box. Didn't see it until I got home.
Since it's my new yard rifle, I will put far more scratches and dents in it myself.

I don't own a safe queen. I do wish that a few of them were still new in box, but I changed their status the day I bought them.
i own no safe queens either. i leave those to collectors and museums to own. i try to take very good care of my firearms and don't abuse them, but i do use them as they were intended to be used. all of mine in very good to almost perfect condition simply becasue i take very good care of them. even the used ones are in much better condition than when i bought them. it was stressed upon me when i was very young by my father to take good care of my possessions and they would serve me well and last a long time. i see many of my father's possessions that prove this out along with my own things. my father tended to give us good advice that has served us well over the years.
Old 02-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2146 Times on 1473 Posts
Likes Given: 798

Quote:
Originally Posted by old fart View Post
yea,its not bad just at the right corner of the front of the rib. nothing major but with it new kinda bugs me.
All you can do is chalk it up to a learning experience. I never buy a gun without assembling it before I leave the premises when I buy a gun face to face. i paid $20 more for my Mossberg 500 combo because neither the clerk or manager at Walmart would let me assemble the gun. I ended up buying a combo from Davidsons.

The way things are going lately I don't see me buying a gun locally. Walmart has nothing I want, not even ammo. I am not going to ride over 100 miles trying to get the best deal from the local gun shops. Right now I am looking to purchase a Beretta FS92. I stopped at a pawn shop that has a few used guns. They tried to say a Taurus was the same gun and they wanted $550 for the Taurus NIB. If I wanted to settle for a Taurus I can get one for $450 without leaving the couch.

To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead. Thomas Paine

Last edited by John_Deer; 02-09-2014 at 05:25 AM.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1757 Times on 1083 Posts
Likes Given: 9704

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
i own no safe queens either. i leave those to collectors and museums to own. i try to take very good care of my firearms and don't abuse them, but i do use them as they were intended to be used. all of mine in very good to almost perfect condition simply becasue i take very good care of them. even the used ones are in much better condition than when i bought them. it was stressed upon me when i was very young by my father to take good care of my possessions and they would serve me well and last a long time. i see many of my father's possessions that prove this out along with my own things. my father tended to give us good advice that has served us well over the years.
Same thing my dad taught me. His exact words: "One day you may need to rely on this weapon to feed or protect you and yours. Maintain it as you would something you value, and it will not fail you when the time comes that you need it."

That is what he said to me when he transfered his 1911 and his GP 100 on to my permit, and into my safe. My guns that I got new do show age, but they all work as well or better than they did new. My used ones all are in better shape than they were when I bought or traded for them. Non of them are safe queens, (well, almost none of them. Still looking for Arisaka Ammo.) all of them get used.

As to how often and how well cleaned they are, I was taught firearms maintenance by a Marine Master SGT., I'll leave it at that.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

People Like This 
Old 02-10-2014, 11:31 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
Same thing my dad taught me. His exact words: "One day you may need to rely on this weapon to feed or protect you and yours. Maintain it as you would something you value, and it will not fail you when the time comes that you need it."

That is what he said to me when he transfered his 1911 and his GP 100 on to my permit, and into my safe. My guns that I got new do show age, but they all work as well or better than they did new. My used ones all are in better shape than they were when I bought or traded for them. Non of them are safe queens, (well, almost none of them. Still looking for Arisaka Ammo.) all of them get used.

As to how often and how well cleaned they are, I was taught firearms maintenance by a Marine Master SGT., I'll leave it at that.
i buy things to use. i use them as they were intended to be used, but i try not to abuse them. i try and buy what i feel will give me the performance or desired results i am looking for when i buy something, regardless of whether ita gun, a vehicle or a tool. i try and buy quality items and sometime quality comes with a higher price tag. sometimes you can buy a quality item that is inexpensive too though. but even a higher cost quality item won't last very long if it's not taken care of and maintained.