Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Newbie: What's a Modified Choke?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2014, 01:28 PM   #21
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8441 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 1301

If you have not considered this- one of the earliest more-than-1-shot firearms was the double. And the traditional borings were 1 barrel full, 1 barrel modified. Your choice of which one to fire first. No choke wrench required.

double-barrel-shotgun.jpg

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2014, 03:51 PM   #22
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1491 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 7365

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
Many moons ago, people were very lucky to own one or two weapons, only rich folks had vaults full of guns. Scattergun varieties were like a golfbag, a driver for every diff type of shot. Thats expensive and hard to carry in the woods so you picked the best choke for your intended victim based on the load, size of the projectiles, thickness of the skin/ hide and distance you anticipated you would engage them. A full choke shot at a squirrel 30' away meant more waste and less taste but no choke and a Canadian Goose at 100' meant they goose likely could fly between the shot and you go hungry!

My remembrance of the Modified choke was it was a happy medium for all ammo and most game, kinda like a universal replacement part, does everything but none of the things perfectly!

All things being equal, they never are so as machining techniques progressed, there were attempts to see if a more versitile choke could be developed, that was the PolyChoke. It is that Universal choke that allows your weapon to fire diff patterns with diff loads all based on the setting. Its much better than a Modified choke cause one size doesnt have to fit all loads or targets but it adds weight and mine really never threw a slug very well, being very long smoothbores didnt help that either. I would hesitate to throw a slug out of a full choke weapon, it may be ok but your wasting your slugs, it wont hit consistently.

When it comes to accuracy and stopping the target, universal isnt as good as specific, the right or no choke for the right use is best but dont let that stop you from enjoying your new boomer with the modified choke!
good pot WF. I will say that I have encounted more than one full chole shotgun that could fire a slug with consis tant results, but they are a rare bird indeed. my maverick 88 would always shoot 2 inches high, and a half inch right at 25 yards out of the 28 inch full choke barrel with winchester slugs. i just had to used kentucky windage to score a bull's eye with it.

my dad's mossberg m 5500 would hit almost dead on with remington or federal 1 oz slugs, even with a full choke. i only saw him miss once (5 shots at the same doe), and that was because he forgot to drop his cheek to the comb. I stopped her at a run with one shot from the maverick, right through both front shoulders, and a quick follow up to the CNS.

shooting a slug out of a full choke gun can be done accuratly. it just requires due dilligence on the part of the shooter to find the right ammo, and where said ammo hit most often.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust View Post
The 1st picture is a full choke, the 2nd pic is a modified choke.

and if you choke the other guy out with his tie, it is an improved modified choke.

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
If you have not considered this- one of the earliest more-than-1-shot firearms was the double. And the traditional borings were 1 barrel full, 1 barrel modified. Your choice of which one to fire first. No choke wrench required.

Attachment 145775
i have a couple of those myself, and i find them to be pretty handy in the field. my long one has a full on the left, and a mod. on the right. my coach gun has an ic choke on the right, and a mod on the left. both are great little bird guns, and the 2nd barrel is usually loaded with OO buck due to feral pig sightings where i hunt.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

People Like This 
Old 06-25-2014, 05:00 PM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2539 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfox75 View Post
and if you choke the other guy out with his tie, it is an improved modified choke?
Why yes, yes it is!

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 06-26-2014, 10:37 AM   #24
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5677 Times on 2811 Posts
Likes Given: 6035

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post

Attachment 145775
That there is pretty for sure, always wanted a Double Barrel but never bought one, sad actually, they are class for sure. Most of my hunting was birds--- Pheasant, Grouse, Partridge, Ducks and Geese, my Springer Bogwan would get mad as hell if I jumped into my car with a gun and didnt bring him. I would always load my tube with increasing shot size according to the prey, if your first shot was a reach, eject the first round and let the second fly. Start small and move up so the further out they get the heavier the load that comes at them. That was especially good for geese. Rarely ever got a second shot on a partridge, they are fast little buggers, just hear wings flittering and they are gone!

My BF George had an Ithaca 12 Single shot with a modified choke and he was deadly with it. He was the king of OSOK deer hunting and on the rare occasion he needed a second was lightning fast on the reload. It was the only shotgun he had and he made it work for everything.

Old 06-28-2014, 03:55 AM   #25
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1491 Times on 914 Posts
Likes Given: 7365

Quote:
Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 View Post
That there is pretty for sure, always wanted a Double Barrel but never bought one, sad actually, they are class for sure. Most of my hunting was birds--- Pheasant, Grouse, Partridge, Ducks and Geese, my Springer Bogwan would get mad as hell if I jumped into my car with a gun and didnt bring him. I would always load my tube with increasing shot size according to the prey, if your first shot was a reach, eject the first round and let the second fly. Start small and move up so the further out they get the heavier the load that comes at them. That was especially good for geese. Rarely ever got a second shot on a partridge, they are fast little buggers, just hear wings flittering and they are gone!

My BF George had an Ithaca 12 Single shot with a modified choke and he was deadly with it. He was the king of OSOK deer hunting and on the rare occasion he needed a second was lightning fast on the reload. It was the only shotgun he had and he made it work for everything.
in the right hands those singles can be pretty d@mn fast. i broke my left wrist when i was 13, (was RED at the time, not LED) and it was during the time i had to have it braced that squirrel season started up in NC. within 3 trips to the woods, i had learned to put my next 3 shells, (one #6, and 2 #4s) into the underside of the wrap. if i saw more than one, or god forbid, missed, i could pop that little .410 open, the ejector would launch the empty, and have the next one in and my next shot ready to go by the time the empty hit the ground. if i go out for squirrel nowadays with that little .410, i still keep 2 or 3 shells in a sweatband on my right wrist for just that reason.

I still have that little single shot .410. that is one of the ones that i will only part with after i am done on this earth.

F.I.E. SB1 given to me christmas of 1987.
File Type: jpg 100_1391_resized.jpg (31.3 KB, 7 views)

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

RKB Likes This