Newbie Questions - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2010, 12:13 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm guessing "Game shot" means bird shot. There is probably more information on the shell or box that you didn't tell us. The smaller the shot balls, the quicker they will be stopped in flesh. Thus, bird shot could really make someone angry, but not have any "stopping" power. Think VP Cheney...he shot his friend in the neck and face and he easily survived.

Buck shot fires just a few pellets (about 9 for 2-3/4" 00-buck), but the greater weight gives these balls much more inertia to enter the body and sever vital blood supply lines, leading to quicker medical shock, thus providing much greater "stopping" power.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-21-2010, 02:15 AM   #12

Gotcha. Thanks!!!

Old 12-27-2010, 08:22 PM   #13

Mossbergs, H&Rs/New Englands, Winchesters, Remingtons, Saigas, Charles Dailys, the list is never ending on what's good. And some models are good and others aren't so be careful about that. #4 Bird shot is my personal option for HD it will ensure decent stopping power and not a big factor of over penetration. ( I am not the only one in my household) A pump would definately be the best rout for capacity, reliability, and quickness. Also I would advise going with something that's pretty common for the reason of being able to find parts and accessories. Speaking of accessories, you gotta get you a shell holder (Mine holds 00Buck for just in case the BG is like Terminator or something. And a tactical light is a MUST! Good Luck. Let us know what you get. And show some pictures too.

Old 12-28-2010, 08:24 PM   #14

Default Shot Gun Choice

There is something to be said about the deterring factor when a person hears an 870 Remington being racked or for that matter any 12 ga. being racked. It comes down to personal choice and how much you want to spend. Mossberg has the 930 SPX semi that is pretty nice. In my opnion all of the major gun makers make quality shot guns it just depends on your pocket book.

Old 12-29-2010, 02:30 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5507 Times on 2875 Posts
Likes Given: 357

i would suggest mossberg 500 since it has pretty cheap interchangeable barrels for everything from 50cal muzzle loader to home defense to skeet.

skeet shooting is pretty damn addictive.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 01-03-2011, 01:38 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yes Mossberg and Benelli are both good,just what do you prefer,pump or semi-auto? Have to find that out for yourself.I have a semi auto Benelli,flawless.

Actually it does take practice.We hear way too much someone say "just point and pull." Nope,dont work that way.A shotgun has at least 2 advantages.Depending on the load,it can cause alot more damage than a single bullet.Because of the spread,it tears chunks out of things.And then there is the fear factor most people get when they hear 'shotgun'.

Springfield Armory 1911 TRP,two of them,in Simply Rugged holsters for the summer and Andrews double shoulder holster for winter.

Benelli MR1 AR-15 with Surefire light/laser.

Benelli M2 with Surefire light.

Old 01-04-2011, 08:28 AM   #17

Well, I'm looking to buy a pump. Can you tell me some good pumps specifically? I just want something basic but reliable.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:33 AM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, if you're looking for a pump I'd recommednd a Remington 870 express. I own one (combo, with a rifled barrel and a smoothbore) and its easy to use/take apart. It's relatively cheap to own and is pretty good quality. If you get the combo version you'll a rifled barrel for slugs and a smoothbore for shot. If you're only going to get one, I'd go for it cause its really flexible for shooting.

As for ranges - usually you can shoot shot at them cause it doesn't penetrate too much. Slugs are like rifle rounds so if rifles are banned at the range -chances are slugs won't be allowed.

As for price, hunting rounds will be about $1 each, but as some people have mentioned target rounds can be bought way cheaper. think Winchester super X #2 is 25rds for about $7. It won't be as cheap as .22lr - but what is? Shells are big and can cost alot, but target ammo is way cheaper - just don't ever hunt with target loads!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 01-06-2011, 01:12 PM   #19

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
Well, I'm looking to buy a pump. Can you tell me some good pumps specifically? I just want something basic but reliable.
There are plenty out there, but if you want the world's most popular, most reliable, smoothest operating, with the most parts, accessories, etc., then the Remington 870 in any configuration, variation, or finish is the way to go.

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 01-07-2011, 08:05 AM   #20

Thanks. One more question: What are the different barrel lengths for? I see some longer and some shorter barrels. Can longer barreled shotguns fire longer range or are they just more accurate or what? Also, what's a good capacity I should settle for? I see some that are 4+1 and some that are 5 or 6 +1.