Newbie Questions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Newbie Questions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 07:23 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Newbie Questions

I currently shoot pistols but I don't yet own a shotgun. I was considering buying since they tend to be cheaper for home protection as well as range fun. But I have a few questions:

1. What are good, reputable shotgun manufacturers? I always hear about Remington, Benelli, and Mossberg so I assume they are the best but I'm not certain. I currently own a SIG Sauer P226 pistol so I'd like to get one on par with that quality if I do end up buying.

2. How expensive is shotgun ammo? I checked on a few websites and it seemed that buckshot is typically $1 per cartridge which seems expensive but is that what people usually practice with at the range or what?

3. Is it true that shotguns don't take much practice for self-defense when using spread/buckshot?

Thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-13-2010, 07:33 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Here is a thread http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/your-thoughts-ithica-m37-defense-35371/

I load my shotty with #7 1/2 or #8 shot, heavy game loads. In my home the defensive range is going to be less than 10 feet and if I have to use the shotgun, the intruder won't be happy about it at that range.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 12-13-2010, 07:53 AM   #3

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I'm not sure I'd call a shotgun a fun range gun. The people in other lanes around aren't exactly happy that you brought a shotgun to the range that day. They are pretty loud and percussive. Shooting clays outside is a different matter, but an indoor range is best for handguns. But I still have to get some practice in occasionally. I have a hard time aiming mine with my ear muffs on, though.

I buy SuperXpress by Remington. I get boxes of 25 shells for $6-7. That's like a quarter per shell.

I think right now I've got 2 shells of #7-1/2, followed by 2 low-recoil 00-buck, followed by 2 full-on 00-buck. Then 4 3" magnum 00-buck shells on my shell holder. Definitely increasing intensity if the threat continues.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 12-13-2010, 08:15 AM   #4
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7787 Times on 4675 Posts
Likes Given: 9771

The two indoor ranges I've gone to are strictly pistol ranges. They are not long enough for rifle or shot gun. You'll have to call the range you go to or look them up online and see what is permissible. In my experience, which isn't very vast, rifle and shotgun ranges are usually outdoor ranges

Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 AM   #5

My range is only 25 yards, but allows all handguns, all .22lr rifles, and all shotguns. It only limits centerfire rifles. Have you asked, Winds?

I felt the need to practice a little bit on my shottie, but have no desire to put a lot of rounds through it. I even have one of those Knoxx SpecOps recoil-reducing stocks and it is still not fun to fire.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:49 PM   #6

Well first of all, I've been to my range enough times to know what's allowed there. I've seen people shoot rifles, pistols, shotguns, high-powered sniper rifles... In fact, their rifle range is the biggest part of their range. Their only rules are they want you to pick up as many spent shotgun shells as you safely can. Do I like it all the time? No. But I'm not really going to care if the people next to me like it or not because there's been at least a dozen times I've gone and had to put up with some guy firing a rifle or shotgun that shakes my entire body next door to me and pierces my 2 levels of ear protection. I've also had to deal with children not even 10 years old firing that crap next to me. Personally, I don't really care because A. I know I'm going to a gun range and it aint gonna be quiet and B. I know that if I am ever in a gunfight, I'm gonna have to be accurate while I'm being shot at with anything imaginable, so I figure it's good practice and training. I mean, if I required a specific setting to shoot, that wouldn't be very practical.

But anyway, thanks for the link. When you say it's not a fun range gun, are you saying it's just loud, harsh, and pointless to shoot targets with? Is it only used for defense and clays?

Old 12-13-2010, 06:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
I know that if I am ever in a gunfight, I'm gonna have to be accurate while I'm being shot at with anything imaginable, so I figure it's good practice and training. I mean, if I required a specific setting to shoot, that wouldn't be very practical.
That is a REALLY good point. Part of the range experience is acclimation to others firing around you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewGunz View Post
When you say it's not a fun range gun, are you saying it's just loud, harsh, and pointless to shoot targets with? Is it only used for defense and clays?
Nope. Just my opinion about my experience. I never said "pointless." There is no firearm that is pointless. How is it spelled? JMHO, YMMV.

Old 12-13-2010, 06:57 PM   #8

Another thing to think about is what shells you're allowed to shoot in the range. The range I go to only allows slugs, or 00Buck with a full choke. Being that my HD shotgun has no choke options, I have to get slugs. So, while it's good to get a couple shots run through it, there isn't much beyond that if you want to shoot buckshot.

Not that this is a problem, but it's worth the phonecall, before you go sink a ton of $ into shells you can't shoot.

"It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died, rather we should thank God that such men lived." Gen. George S. Patton

Old 12-13-2010, 07:12 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanCucf View Post
Another thing to think about is what shells you're allowed to shoot in the range. The range I go to only allows slugs, or 00Buck with a full choke. Being that my HD shotgun has no choke options, I have to get slugs. So, while it's good to get a couple shots run through it, there isn't much beyond that if you want to shoot buckshot.

Not that this is a problem, but it's worth the phonecall, before you go sink a ton of $ into shells you can't shoot.
Good point. My range doesn't allow BB guns so they probably only allow slugs. But that's OK, it doesn't discourage me too much. I mean, I already know what buckshot does and I'm sure I can go find an outdoor range and blow up pumpkins or something if I really wanted to, haha. Thanks though, that's definitely something to consider before buying!

Old 12-21-2010, 12:06 AM   #10

NEVERMIND, haha, I just went to the range with 2 friends today and we all shot a 12 gauge with game load in it. Pretty intense!!! It DEMOLISHED our target, but it was fun and an entirely different experience than a pistol. We all enjoy it and thanks to proper positions, had no sore arms afterwards...

I must say, I DEFINITELY want to get one and I DEFINITELY want to have one if someone breaks into my house... So much more powerful. In fact, I've heard that due to their intimidation factor, they may even help SAVE lives.

I have a questions about the shot... I'm still not that familiar with how shotgun ammo works. We shot something called "Game Shot" by Federal and it had a TON of BBs in it... I want to say like 100 per shell at least. This shot tore holes in the target and left tiny holes EVERYwhere, so I'd assume that even this would be a good stopper, but what's the difference between the different shot sizes and all and what is optimum for defense from another person? Thanks.