Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   New To sporting clays... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/new-sporting-clays-74820/)

Serapis 10-22-2012 04:07 AM

New To sporting clays...

Shot sporting clays for the first time yesterday. Really enjoyed it and would like to become a bit more proficient. I used a rental gun. It was a Beretta 686 Onyx. I loved it, but I'm hesitant to go out and buy a new gun at the moment. I have a Remington 1100 my father gave me. I'd like to use it for the time being, but my concern is that the 1100 will not reliably eject lighter target loads. Elsewhere on the Internet I've seen people with this complaint. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the 1100 and would recommend it for this type of shooting.

ShagNasty1001 10-22-2012 04:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Serapis
Shot sporting clays for the first time yesterday. Really enjoyed it and would like to become a bit more proficient. I used a rental gun. It was a Beretta 686 Onyx. I loved it, but I'm hesitant to go out and buy a new gun at the moment. I have a Remington 1100 my father gave me. I'd like to use it for the time being, but my concern is that the 1100 will not reliably eject lighter target loads. Elsewhere on the Internet I've seen people with this complaint. I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with the 1100 and would recommend it for this type of shooting.

I have an 1100 made in '76 that was passed down to me when my grandpa passed away that I shoot clays and dove with. It loves every load I put in it from light target loads to #4 shot. I cannot remember a single jam that I've had and I've shot a couple thousand shells through it.

Serapis 10-22-2012 04:33 AM

That's actually really great to hear. The gun my father gave me is about 35 years old. I guess it wouldn't hurt to give it a shot. I enjoyed sporting clays so much, I think i may retire the golf clubs!

ShagNasty1001 10-22-2012 04:42 AM

Just try out different brands of ammo, my favorite is the federal but that's because it cycles more reliably in my Stoeger as well 3500

Virginian 10-22-2012 11:07 AM

I have been shooting 1100s since they came out in 1963 and I have never had an issue with a 2-3/4" chambered gun unless it was real dirty or something was wrong. The 3" guns need a 2-3/4" barrel to work reliably with light loads. My 1963 gun is my clay shooting gun now. I have never loaded or shot anything less than 1 ounce loads except for a few 7/8 ouncers a friend reloaded. They worked but I swear i could feel the action going slower. :)
If you get one do NOT get the new and NOT improved gas piston and piston seal kit. I have seen issues with those too.

chloeshooter 10-22-2012 11:48 AM

You won't know until you try. Keep it clean and lubed, I bet it works fine. Most of the complaints I see on the Internet about any firearm jamming are easily fixed by routine, thorough cleaning.

When folks shoot clays they usually shoot 50-100 shells at a pop. I'd clean after every clay trip in that case

Slugo 10-22-2012 02:51 PM

the 1100 is a GREAT target gun and will cycle any load if kept clean. To me, it's the greatest autoloader ever invented. Thank you Wayne Leek and your team for bringing us this masterpiece...

magnumman 10-22-2012 02:54 PM

I shoot clay with my 1100 all of the time. I have never had any ejection issues with it. Great all around shotgun

kytowboater 10-22-2012 02:56 PM

Agreed, I shoot an older 80's model 1100. Never have had a single issue related to ammo. It had a hiccup once when I first had it. The trigger group was terribly dirty. A good cleaning, and no issues since. A lot of rounds have been through it. Good luck and enjoy.

Serapis 10-22-2012 03:24 PM

Thanks to all for your responses. This was my first time shooting sporting clays/skeet/trap of any kind. Absolutely loved it. Being able to jump right in with the 1100 will make this much easier on my wallet as I don't want to rent every time and I refuse to buy a cheap o/u. Shot 59/100 (not sure how good that is, but I was shocked I hit that many) on Lehigh Valley sporting clays (in PA) intermediate course. Think I might take a lesson or two. I don't want to ingrain any bad habits that I may have.