New to shotguns question
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New to shotguns question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2012, 03:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 8 Posts

Default New to shotguns question

Just bought my first shotgun, a Remington 870 express and was wondering if any type of slug could be shot through it. I assume a rifled slug can be but don't know enough about the choke tubes all I know is a modified was included. Do I need any other sort of choke tubes? Also was wondering if winchester pdx shells can be shot through the modified choke. Thanks for your help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2012, 03:50 AM   #2
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 334 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 602

I have the same gun - what I did was pick up a slug barrel for it as well which had sights on it too - so I just change out the barrels when needed. I think I paid approx $75 for the slug barrel, but that was 20 years ago...I dont think you want to shoot slugs thru the barrel it came with as you mentioned, as there could be issues regarding the choke(s). I could be wrong about that though...maybe someone else can chime in about this...

Member: GOA, NRA

"Nil desperandum (never despair) is a model for you and me. All are not dead; and where there is a spark of patriotic fire, we will rekindle it.” - Samuel Adams

Old 09-20-2012, 01:42 PM   #3

Liked 717 Times on 463 Posts
Likes Given: 229

You can safely shoot any shells the correct gauge thru your gun without any worry's.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:58 PM   #4

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I am seeing used rifled slug barrels for around $120. Ebay is a great place to start looking. Sites like gun broker also have used barrels from time to time. If you are using slugs to meet game regulations a rifled barrel is a great investment.

In the future when you purchase a shotgun a combo (shotgun package that comes with a field barrel and a specialty barrel) is always cheaper than buying a field model and acquiring barrels later. Don't feel bad! The reason I am aware of combo pricing is I have faced the dilemma you are facing right now.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/