New to Shotguns
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New to Shotguns

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-13-2011, 09:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New to Shotguns

I purchased a Mossberg 535 this past March mainly for turkey hunting. my question is can i use it for deer hunting without having to buy a rifled barrel? I dont have the money for that and my shot wouldnt be more then 75yrds. The salesman at Dick's where i bought it said all i would need is a rifled choke and i talked to another one and he said i wouldnt need anything just a rifled slug. I am really confused and dont know what i need so any help is appreciated. also it came with two barrels 28" and 22" and it has Modified, turkey, full, and imp cyl choke.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have never heard of a rifled choke. If there really is one, it would have little effect on a slug with the short amount of time it would go through it. Rifled slugs through a smooth barrel should work fine for you. You should have a way to mount an optic on that model shotgun to make it even more precise.

Do you have interchangeable choke tubes for your 935? I looked and Mossberg says the waterfowl model includes them. I don't know what choke you have, but you should carefully check the point of impact before shooting. At a defensive shotgun class I took one guy had an adjustable choke that made the gun shoot more than a foot left of point of aim at 40 yards.
Good luck.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!