Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   New shotgun question... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/new-shotgun-question-88080/)

GoGlockOrGoHome 04-03-2013 03:00 PM

Buying a new shotgun tomorrow.
Someone told me I should clean it before I go shooting it for the first time...
But that's sounds stupid. Not only is it brand new and should be somewhat clean, but it's a pump shotgun! It should operate just fine even with quite a bit of build up.

So is this true? Do I really need to clean my shotgun before I go shooting for the first time...
I know it wouldn't hurt to clean it, but is it necessary?

mtnbadger 04-03-2013 03:11 PM

I shot mine right out of the box haha I couldn't wait and I don't think there would be anything wrong with it cause don't some companies fire the guns before they ship them off?

jp_over 04-03-2013 03:17 PM

I've shot all mine without cleaning them first (Browning Gold x 3) but I heard (a while back) that some companies ship with a special rust preventative/grease. You could check the booklet or call the manufacturer if you really want solid info. Either way, you've got to clean it at some point so just shoot it I say.

gearhead396 04-03-2013 03:50 PM

Shot all mine with out cleaning them first and my hunting shotgun gets cleaned only after a hunt I shoot it all summer no cleaning ever

SSGN_Doc 04-03-2013 06:29 PM

The oils they put on them forshipping and long term shelf storage are not always the same sa what you want for lubrication. I would at least swab out the bore to ensure there is no grease or heavy oil that could cause pressure spikes or be fouling the chamber. Also check the extractor areas to make sure they can move freely and don't have a build up of grease that will prevent full travel or accumulate a bunch of dust from the range. Also check the trigger and hammer area to make sure they don't have any packing grease that will keep them from traveling properly and causing light primer strikes, and while you're doing that you might want to make sure there isn't a bunch of grease that will keep the firing pin from traveling in the firing pin channel.

Aw heck, as long as you've got it broken down that far, you may as well clean it.

bobski 04-04-2013 08:59 PM

new guns are treated for long storage. theres no telling how long a gun will sit on a shelf in a gun shop before its sold. the grease protects the guts of a gun. when heated, it can harden and make the gun gummy. now picture that on your sear and hammer. you pull the trigger and nothing happens...because the gunk is holding it...then all of a sudden it lets loose. you best pray its pointing safely when it does.
you always clean a gun before firing it new. no telling what got in it and is gumming up the works. sure, you shot many without. fine. but its not right. and not proper respect to a gun. the practice is just setting you up for an accident or poor performance. and when the day comes to really clean it, wait until you see all the gunpowder and crud stuck in the works.

PanBaccha 04-04-2013 09:07 PM

I took my brand new Mossberg 590A1 right out of the box when I received it and cleaned it free of excessive factory oil. Once cleaned I went straight to the range. Glad I did.

Drriley 04-04-2013 10:04 PM

While most folks get away with shooting a new gun without cleaning it, I think it's just
best practice to clean 1st.....

You don't know how long it been on the shelf or gun rack, what's been dropped into it by some clerk or
if some cleaning folks used windex on it or what. It's just safest to check. You might even find something
damaged in shipping or at the factory.

It doesn't have to be a full disassembly, but a field strip and function check always makes me feel better.

mongo43 04-05-2013 03:54 AM

Being a former LE armorer I always breakdown every new firearm. Clean and relube proprerly. Have found too many metal shavings in the FCG od various weapond and platforms.

zebramochaman 04-05-2013 04:15 AM

Chances are that you will be okay shooting without cleaning it. I personally always break down, inspect, clean and lube any gun that is new to me. You have to consider that you are ultimately responsible for anything that goes wrong with firing your gun. It just makes sense to me to insure that the gun is safe, clean and ready to go. In addition, if it is a firearm that I am not familiar with, I want to know everything I can about the gun before I fire it. After all, how long does it take to do a field strip, inspection, clean and lube of a shotty?