New shotgun purchase
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New shotgun purchase

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2013, 12:02 AM   #1
Ara
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default New shotgun purchase

Hello all-

I am looking to purchase my 1st shotgun.

I'm looking for something mostly for self defense and occasional target shootings at the Range.

I've narrowed my search to a Remington 870 tactical express and a benelli supernova

I am not an expert in shotguns at all and would really appreciate any input / advise.

I've shot a benelli supernova once and was very impressed by the handling /recoil. I've never shot a 870, hence I really don't know how it feels.

In my area, the price difference between 2 shotguns are $100. I don't mind the difference so long as I know I'm getting a better product.

Any thought / ideas is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ara

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-19-2013, 12:05 AM   #2

Liked 160 Times on 113 Posts

Go for the benelli. Higher quality product. Remington has been having quality issues lately

Old 01-19-2013, 12:17 AM   #3
Ara

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by potentialglock
Go for the benelli. Higher quality product. Remington has been having quality issues lately
Thanks. That's the 2nd comment I heard about Remington today.

Old 01-19-2013, 02:20 AM   #4

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Yea go with the benelli for sure they are twice then gun new 870s are but instead of the supernova check out the regular nova not much different and cheaper

Old 01-21-2013, 03:56 PM   #5

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara
Hello all-

I'm looking for something mostly for self defense and occasional target shootings at the Range.

I've narrowed my search to a Remington 870 tactical express and a benelli supernova

I am not an expert in shotguns at all and would really appreciate any input / advise.

I've shot a benelli supernova once and was very impressed by the handling /recoil. I've never shot a 870, hence I really don't know how it feels.

In my area, the price difference between 2 shotguns are $100. I don't mind the difference so long as I know I'm getting a better product.

Thanks.

Ara
I would get the Benelli. The 870 is not the gun it used to be.

-Matt

Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #6

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 870 and if given the choice I would get a Nova or Super Nova

Old 01-21-2013, 11:17 PM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ara
Hello all-

Thanks.

Ara
Benelli! I love mine!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:41 PM   #8

Liked 638 Times on 385 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Check out the Mossberg 590A1. Advantages: 8 round mag tube, metal trigger guard and components, bayonet lug, dual action bars, ghost ring sights, parkerized finish, tang safety(ambi and much easier to use), slide release behind trigger guard(as opposed to in front of the guard, you don't have to adjust your grip to release the slide). Also, it passed the Army's extensive tests to be able to be entered into service. I got mine a few years ago for around $500. Great for SD and it makes trap shooting much more challenging!

Old 01-21-2013, 11:56 PM   #9

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

Just to show you opinions can vary, if someone gave me a Benelli I would pass it on rather than keep it. I cannot abide Benellis of practically any ilk. But, that is just me. In point of fact, a Benelli, Remington, Mossberg, Maverick, or "other" will probably do fine for you. We are talking pump guns here; not Purdeys.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-23-2013, 03:17 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Mossberg 500 12g/28". Buy Made in USA!!