Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   New shotgun purchase (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/new-shotgun-purchase-81786/)

Ara 01-19-2013 12:02 AM

New shotgun purchase

Hello all-

I am looking to purchase my 1st shotgun.

I'm looking for something mostly for self defense and occasional target shootings at the Range.

I've narrowed my search to a Remington 870 tactical express and a benelli supernova

I am not an expert in shotguns at all and would really appreciate any input / advise.

I've shot a benelli supernova once and was very impressed by the handling /recoil. I've never shot a 870, hence I really don't know how it feels.

In my area, the price difference between 2 shotguns are $100. I don't mind the difference so long as I know I'm getting a better product.

Any thought / ideas is highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Ara

potentialglock 01-19-2013 12:05 AM

Go for the benelli. Higher quality product. Remington has been having quality issues lately

Ara 01-19-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by potentialglock
Go for the benelli. Higher quality product. Remington has been having quality issues lately

Thanks. That's the 2nd comment I heard about Remington today.

akers06 01-19-2013 02:20 AM

Yea go with the benelli for sure they are twice then gun new 870s are but instead of the supernova check out the regular nova not much different and cheaper

Blueguns 01-21-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ara
Hello all-

I'm looking for something mostly for self defense and occasional target shootings at the Range.

I've narrowed my search to a Remington 870 tactical express and a benelli supernova

I am not an expert in shotguns at all and would really appreciate any input / advise.

I've shot a benelli supernova once and was very impressed by the handling /recoil. I've never shot a 870, hence I really don't know how it feels.

In my area, the price difference between 2 shotguns are $100. I don't mind the difference so long as I know I'm getting a better product.

Thanks.

Ara

I would get the Benelli. The 870 is not the gun it used to be.

bigrock44 01-21-2013 11:13 PM

I have a 870 and if given the choice I would get a Nova or Super Nova

badasstruck 01-21-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ara
Hello all-

Thanks.

Ara

Benelli! I love mine!

1911love 01-21-2013 11:41 PM

Check out the Mossberg 590A1. Advantages: 8 round mag tube, metal trigger guard and components, bayonet lug, dual action bars, ghost ring sights, parkerized finish, tang safety(ambi and much easier to use), slide release behind trigger guard(as opposed to in front of the guard, you don't have to adjust your grip to release the slide). Also, it passed the Army's extensive tests to be able to be entered into service. I got mine a few years ago for around $500. Great for SD and it makes trap shooting much more challenging!

Virginian 01-21-2013 11:56 PM

Just to show you opinions can vary, if someone gave me a Benelli I would pass it on rather than keep it. I cannot abide Benellis of practically any ilk. But, that is just me. In point of fact, a Benelli, Remington, Mossberg, Maverick, or "other" will probably do fine for you. We are talking pump guns here; not Purdeys.

Slugo 01-23-2013 03:17 PM

Mossberg 500 12g/28". Buy Made in USA!!