Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2013, 02:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Default New Shotgun

I'm looking to get a new shotgun. I'd prefer a semi-auto, but I could settle with a pump. It will be for sporting clays and hunting. I really don't want to spend over $1000 dollars. Any good ideas?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-03-2013, 03:10 PM   #2
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1045 Times on 674 Posts
Likes Given: 5375

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_A7X View Post
I'm looking to get a new shotgun. I'd prefer a semi-auto, but I could settle with a pump. It will be for sporting clays and hunting. I really don't want to spend over $1000 dollars. Any good ideas?
Welcome to the forum Seth. When you get a minute stop by the introductions thread, and Introduce yourself.

I myself am not too big on autoloaders, so about all I can come up with on them is check into a Mossberg 930 or a Remington 11-87. Both are within your price range, and both are reliable shotguns. As far as a pump for under 1K there are several options out there. If you are willing to go used look for an older Remington 870 or a Mossberg 500 at the bottom end of the scale (Money wise, not quality wise) or a Benelii Nova or Browning BPS at the upper end. Many excellent options out there for under $1,000.

Hope this helps.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem parabellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 08:16 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1013 Times on 569 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Lots of good used Benellis, Berettas and Brownings in that range.

If I wanted a new shotty right now, I would give the new Browning A5 a try, around $1300.

But, I will always have room in my safe for a Benelli. The Montefeltro is a good upland bird gun and can be found used from $700 up. New is about $1200.

If you want the cat daddy, a Super Black Eagle II, then $900 up for used. A new SBE 2 will run $1400 to $1500.

I guess have to admit it, I am a Benelli fan boy.

My $0.02, the opinions of others can, and will, vary.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Don't leave the Remington 1100 off your list. They are the standard most auto shotguns are measured against.

Criminals advocate stronger gun laws to foster a safer work environment. This limits their exposure to risk.

Old 11-03-2013, 10:57 PM   #5

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Right now I have an 870 in 20 gauge. I'm looking at the Mossberg 930 SPX 12 gauge though. I only hear good thinks about it.

Old 11-03-2013, 11:12 PM   #6
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1909 Times on 1044 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seth_A7X View Post
Right now I have an 870 in 20 gauge. I'm looking at the Mossberg 930 SPX 12 gauge though. I only hear good thinks about it.
Isn't the SPX the tactical setup? That's pretty out of place for a clay gun.

I picked up a Mossberg 930 right after Christmas last year. It has proved to be a very reliable gun. Shoots light target loads without a hiccup.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 11-03-2013, 11:16 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2172 Times on 1286 Posts
Likes Given: 1148

Go to a LGS where you can get your hands on several different brands of shotgun.

With shotgun in hand, first close youe eyes, shoulder the gun, weld your cheek to the stock and then open your eyes to see how the comb of the gun fits your face and instinctual hold.

For proper fit, when you look down the receiver and barrel, you should only see the rear of the receiver and the complete bead at the end of the barrel.

If you see lots of barrel, the comb is too high, and you will consistently shoot high with that gun. If you see incomplete or no bead, the comb is too low, and you will consistently shoot too low. Same with bead too far left or right.

Choose the gun that has the type of action you prefer, and fits you properly. You will shoot that gun best. (I know this is not the same as a custom fitted job, but for us mere mortals, this is pretty good.)

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

kfox75 Likes This 
Old 11-03-2013, 11:30 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA
Isn't the SPX the tactical setup? That's pretty out of place for a clay gun. I picked up a Mossberg 930 right after Christmas last year. It has proved to be a very reliable gun. Shoots light target loads without a hiccup.
One if my friends has one. It is out of place but it surprisingly fits me better than my 870 (Small framed guy, I'm 15)

Old 11-03-2013, 11:33 PM   #9

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

I'm sorry but what's an LGS?

Old 11-03-2013, 11:37 PM   #10
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2911 Times on 1716 Posts

Local gun store

I don't need No stinking signature.