Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-21-2013, 05:15 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer

You just as well go one and polish the cylinder. All cheap shotgun ammo is steel cased and subject to hang in the cylinder. A short piece of 3/8" dowel and some steel wool will do the job. If you can't find a dowel you can get it done with a pencil. Try to find a heavy duty 1/2" drill to polish the cylinder. It's not that you will need the power. A 1/2" drill turns very slowly reducing the risk of something going wrong. Dollar tree sells steel wool that is in tube shaped roll that is perfect for polishing the cylinder on a shotgun.
It wasn't the shell that was stuck the extractor and the rest of the bolt in this gunn is two pieces and the extractor slides back and forth anD rotates when moving back. So when I shot it rotated and was binding up. There for preventing me from cycling the gun.

Its not murder if for means of survival

Old 12-26-2013, 10:32 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Some folks cleans n service a gun prior to range use. I have never really had an issue w my 870 functioning but after pattern testing, I did take it apart and the gun was as dry as a bone.

You can polish bolt group, rails etc., and this will help the gun cycle. Armorers have done the steel wool trick to polish chambers but the chamber is not always the culprit.

Yet, some guns & people need a break in period.

Old 12-27-2013, 12:27 AM   #13
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19819 Times on 11253 Posts
Likes Given: 49941

Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaysarmed View Post
I just picked up a Stevens 320 12ga. 18" barrel. $223 for gun and two boxes of federal 00buckshot and the wife wasn't angry either lol.
I think I did alright today. What does everyone
Else think?
well if the wife isn't mad, then you're pretty much golden!

Old 12-30-2013, 07:23 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

Savage Rifles have a good reputation for accuracy. I don't know about their shotguns but in general, light loads for tgt practice is a good idea. No reason to work on bad habits - they tend to multiply on their own. Most attribute this phenomenon w Murphy's Law.

Not all pumps are created equal - some people have them so smooth, the recoil does half the work; all they have to do is push slide fwd. (Modern guns - no slam fire - Trench Broom)

Old 12-30-2013, 09:22 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1380 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Savage Rifles have a good reputation for accuracy. I don't know about their shotguns but in general, light loads for tgt practice is a good idea. No reason to work on bad habits - they tend to multiply on their own. Most attribute this phenomenon w Murphy's Law.

Not all pumps are created equal - some people have them so smooth, the recoil does half the work; all they have to do is push slide fwd. (Modern guns - no slam fire - Trench Broom)
The old savage/stevens shotguns were good shooters. I borrow a Savage pump from a friend when I visit. The old savage doesn't have a rotating bolt. If I had to compare it to anything I have shot it would be an Ithaca. My brother has a Stevens 20 ga SxS that is older than he is. The gun has never been in the shop as far as I know.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato