New Semi Shotgun Suggestions - Page 4
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

New Semi Shotgun Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-20-2012, 09:11 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4743 Times on 2362 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

Not trying to be disrespectful to you old crow. I respect you, and I don't doubt that you're a damn fine shotgun shooter.
I think Benellis are awesome! And in own 2 maverick 88's and an 870 express as well.
I'm just stating that the saiga isn't crap.
You stated that you could load the tube before I could even detach a saiga magazine, and I find that extremely hard to believe.
You also state that the magazines would weigh you down, but I fail to see that as the magazines weigh what? A few ounces?... Yeah, more if loaded, but that weight is coming from the ammo, regardless of how you carry it.
I can't wrap my mind around sticking a 10 round magazine in a gun, being slower than individually loading a tube.

Old 11-20-2012, 09:12 PM   #32

Liked 4743 Times on 2362 Posts
Likes Given: 1132

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

ammonia?
Lol!!! Stupid autocorrect! :-D

Old 11-20-2012, 09:52 PM   #33

Liked 47 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaker

1) I'm sure I'm in just as good shape as any special forces operator.
Riiiiiiight..........

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #34

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mosin View Post
Not trying to be disrespectful to you old crow. I respect you, and I don't doubt that you're a damn fine shotgun shooter.
I think Benellis are awesome! And in own 2 maverick 88's and an 870 express as well.
I'm just stating that the saiga isn't crap.
You stated that you could load the tube before I could even detach a saiga magazine, and I find that extremely hard to believe.
You also state that the magazines would weigh you down, but I fail to see that as the magazines weigh what? A few ounces?... Yeah, more if loaded, but that weight is coming from the ammo, regardless of how you carry it.
I can't wrap my mind around sticking a 10 round magazine in a gun, being slower than individually loading a tube.
It's a 3 gun course. We both start with our guns loaded. If you shoot it all with one gun & one magazine you will have to reload more than once. The Saiga only holds one more shot than my Maverick. I can keep thumbing ammo into the maverick. Do the math...

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-21-2012, 01:30 AM   #35

Liked 23 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:

It's a 3 gun course. We both start with our guns loaded. If you shoot it all with one gun & one magazine you will have to reload more than once. The Saiga only holds one more shot than my Maverick. I can keep thumbing ammo into the maverick. Do the math...
Um can't Saigas use 20rnd mags? Or is there a rnd limit on mags? I've never shoot three gun.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:04 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by spack762 View Post
Um can't Saigas use 20rnd mags? Or is there a rnd limit on mags? I've never shoot three gun.
At first loading a magazine was so quick and easy a child could beat me. Now you need an aftermarket drum magazine. This has got to the point that I need to find a way to block you two.

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 11-21-2012, 02:07 AM   #37

Liked 32 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:

Instead of embedding a youtube video put your money where your mouth is. The 2012 IDPA championship course is about 20 miles from here. Bring your Saiga and one magazine. I will shoot a Maverick 88. Time and accuracy count. Make it light on yourself. I have COPD and can't run 50 yards. We can shoot the course on any given Saturday. I am not super wealthy but I can make it worth your airfare.

I like your spirt old crow. I'd love to go shoot with you but my job for the county does not allow me too many days off.

But let's just agree we are both right they are both great weapons I never downed your weapon at all it's a superb platform and so is the saiga.

Old 11-21-2012, 02:18 AM   #38

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

i think ya both ought to come on down for a round of sporting clays!!! take ya both on with my 2 shot beretta spot ya 10 birds for a wager your comfortable with.

Old 11-21-2012, 04:34 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonydewar View Post
i think ya both ought to come on down for a round of sporting clays!!! take ya both on with my 2 shot beretta spot ya 10 birds for a wager your comfortable with.
Sure! If I am shooting my 500. I shoot plenty of sporting clay. Not going to be stupid and shoot with a cylinder choke. You near Tampa or Gulfstream park? I have plenty of old friends, free room and board.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-21-2012 at 04:42 AM.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:41 AM   #40

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL View Post
as for what we use it for, largescale rabbit elimination.
Imagine one target running out, you shoot, hit, then 4 more run out thanks to the report of that. boom boom boom, run run, etc.
then you take one step forward and it happens all over again, hence why a box mag would be good for instant refill.
So having quick followup shots is great, our 870s are amazing and we can work them fast enough to be good, but having a quality semi that famously REDUCES the recoil flip as opposed to AUGMENTING it and can stay on target for quick successive shots, that would be the pants.
I'm going to go co-own on it with my rabbiting partner, so if I sell my franchi for about NZ$400 (US$320) plus that again in cash, plus the same again from the other party, all in all about US$1200 seems like a reasonable range.
OK, for $1200 you could choose from a wide range of nice semi-auto shotguns here is the US. I don't know what the prices or availability are in New Zealand, however I have a few suggestions you might want to look at.

This fall I have been trying out a couple of nice inexpensive new shotguns.

One being the Weatherby SA-08 12ga and the other a Tri-Star Viper G2 Camo 12ga.

MSRP for the Weatherby is $600. Street/store price is around $500-$525.
MSRP for the Tri-Star is $595. Street/store price $500

I have use both this fall for Dove, Squirrel and Rabbit as well as shooting a few clays with friends.

Both guns have performed well. I would give the edge to the Weatherby.
The Weatherby SA-08 comes with a two piston system that let's you shoot heavy or light loads without any cycling problems.

From left to right: Remington 870, Remington 11-78 Primiere, Remingtom 11-87 synthetic, Weatherby 459TK, Tir-Star Viper G2, Weatherby SA-08, Remington 11-87 Police, Mossburg 500
New Semi Shotgun Suggestions - General Shotgun Discussion

Last edited by steadyshot; 11-22-2012 at 10:52 AM.