New Semi Shotgun Suggestions
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New Semi Shotgun Suggestions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM   #1
SoL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default New Semi Shotgun Suggestions

hey there

I have been interested in a decent semiauto shotgun, having maxed out my 870s and more or less not being at all happy with the inertia driven franchi semiauto shotgun I've been using, the barrel flip that the reciprocating barrel causes makes followup shots just straight up slower than with a pump.

I want a decent semi that will take enough of the recoil to make followup shots a bit more appealing, gas powered maybe? what does anyone recommend from experience? and should I pay respect to the Saiga 12? it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #2

Liked 54 Times on 43 Posts

If you have the $, there is nothing finer than the Benelli M4. Second place is the FN tactical. Both are gas operated. They are both awesome tactical shotguns.
I know nothing about Saiga nor know anyone who owns one.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #3

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

I have 0% respect for a Saiga. It is way over priced for a shoddily built Russian piece of crap. I would look at a Browning or a Beneli. Both are trouble free and competition winners. Do a little research before buying a shotgun. Get a shotgun that is tailor made for your intended use.

The FN SLP is a great tactical shotgun. If I bought a dedicated home defense shotgun the SLP would be my choice for a semi-auto. In fit, finish, reliability and resale value the SLP kicks the Saiga right in the caboose.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-18-2012 at 11:11 AM.

Old 11-18-2012, 11:29 AM   #4

Yeah. The FN is a great shotgun. It is almost half the cost of the Benelli and made in the USA so it comes with a full length tube from the factory.
Yet I had the $ at the time and got an M4. It is outstanding!

Old 11-18-2012, 12:22 PM   #5

Liked 46 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 246

I would look at the FN SLP as well. I've heard nothing but good things about it

Woe to those who make unjust laws and to those who issue oppressive decrees. -Isaiah 10:1

Blaming guns for death is like blaming forks for obesity

Old 11-18-2012, 02:25 PM   #6

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

The new a-5 is about as good as it gets for inertia guns. Maybe if you want a gas look at the Benelli website. They have more nice gas guns than I can count.

-Matt

Old 11-18-2012, 02:45 PM   #7

Liked 27 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

The Benelli is top of the list for sure, but expensive. Second in my opinion would be a converted Saiga 12. Reliable and a lot of fun. Believe me they're not Russian crap. Some people just don't understand what an awesome weapon system the AK platform is. Oh well, there loss.

Later,

Cracker7

Old 11-18-2012, 03:47 PM   #8

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

A Benelli inertia system gun.
PS: Saiga = Ruskie = cheap (I don't mean inexpensive) = poop.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:20 PM   #9

I have shot the Benelli inertia shotguns (M1 and M2) and they are very nice. It seemed to be harder recoil and I hear the inertia system is a bit more picky about cycling some types of ammo. The inertia system is faster cycling than gas.

As for the Saigas, Red Jacket loves them so they have to be great, right? :rolls eyes:

Old 11-18-2012, 06:31 PM   #10

Liked 516 Times on 281 Posts
Likes Given: 172

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoL View Post
hey there

I have been interested in a decent semiauto shotgun, having maxed out my 870s and more or less not being at all happy with the inertia driven franchi semiauto shotgun I've been using, the barrel flip that the reciprocating barrel causes makes followup shots just straight up slower than with a pump.

I want a decent semi that will take enough of the recoil to make followup shots a bit more appealing, gas powered maybe? what does anyone recommend from experience? and should I pay respect to the Saiga 12? it ticks a lot of boxes for me.
What is your budget? What do you intend to use this shotgun for?