Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   New Semi Shotgun Suggestions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/new-semi-shotgun-suggestions-76620/)

SoL 11-18-2012 10:07 AM

New Semi Shotgun Suggestions

hey there

I have been interested in a decent semiauto shotgun, having maxed out my 870s and more or less not being at all happy with the inertia driven franchi semiauto shotgun I've been using, the barrel flip that the reciprocating barrel causes makes followup shots just straight up slower than with a pump.

I want a decent semi that will take enough of the recoil to make followup shots a bit more appealing, gas powered maybe? what does anyone recommend from experience? and should I pay respect to the Saiga 12? it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

msup752 11-18-2012 10:55 AM

If you have the $, there is nothing finer than the Benelli M4. Second place is the FN tactical. Both are gas operated. They are both awesome tactical shotguns.
I know nothing about Saiga nor know anyone who owns one.

Old_Crow 11-18-2012 10:55 AM

I have 0% respect for a Saiga. It is way over priced for a shoddily built Russian piece of crap. I would look at a Browning or a Beneli. Both are trouble free and competition winners. Do a little research before buying a shotgun. Get a shotgun that is tailor made for your intended use.

The FN SLP is a great tactical shotgun. If I bought a dedicated home defense shotgun the SLP would be my choice for a semi-auto. In fit, finish, reliability and resale value the SLP kicks the Saiga right in the caboose.

msup752 11-18-2012 11:29 AM

Yeah. The FN is a great shotgun. It is almost half the cost of the Benelli and made in the USA so it comes with a full length tube from the factory.
Yet I had the $ at the time and got an M4. It is outstanding!

gmaster456 11-18-2012 12:22 PM

I would look at the FN SLP as well. I've heard nothing but good things about it

Blueguns 11-18-2012 02:25 PM

The new a-5 is about as good as it gets for inertia guns. Maybe if you want a gas look at the Benelli website. They have more nice gas guns than I can count.

Cracker7 11-18-2012 02:45 PM

The Benelli is top of the list for sure, but expensive. Second in my opinion would be a converted Saiga 12. Reliable and a lot of fun. Believe me they're not Russian crap. Some people just don't understand what an awesome weapon system the AK platform is. Oh well, there loss.

HockaLouis 11-18-2012 03:47 PM

A Benelli inertia system gun.
PS: Saiga = Ruskie = cheap (I don't mean inexpensive) = poop.

msup752 11-18-2012 06:20 PM

I have shot the Benelli inertia shotguns (M1 and M2) and they are very nice. It seemed to be harder recoil and I hear the inertia system is a bit more picky about cycling some types of ammo. The inertia system is faster cycling than gas.

As for the Saigas, Red Jacket loves them so they have to be great, right? :rolls eyes:

steadyshot 11-18-2012 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SoL (Post 1018643)
hey there

I have been interested in a decent semiauto shotgun, having maxed out my 870s and more or less not being at all happy with the inertia driven franchi semiauto shotgun I've been using, the barrel flip that the reciprocating barrel causes makes followup shots just straight up slower than with a pump.

I want a decent semi that will take enough of the recoil to make followup shots a bit more appealing, gas powered maybe? what does anyone recommend from experience? and should I pay respect to the Saiga 12? it ticks a lot of boxes for me.

What is your budget? What do you intend to use this shotgun for?