New Mossberg 500, 410 Bore and 1st test - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

New Mossberg 500, 410 Bore and 1st test

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-01-2009, 09:57 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Yesterday I was at an area Walmart store and found that they had the new Federal 410 Buck 'Handgun' loads. Sold in boxes of 20. I picked up a box but I have not had a chance to fire any yet. These loads contain 4 balls of 000 copper plated buckshot and are rated at 1200 FPS (I suppose at muzzle as it is called a 'Handgun' load. I had to do some online research after I got home as I was curious about whether I could use it from a long gun. Finally found something from Federal that seemed to indicate that it can be safely fired fron a shotgun. They indicated that a Fast burning powder was used so the load could be launched from the short barrel of a handgun. I'm guessing then that the longer barrel of the shotgun would give you a bit more speed out the barrel. But not sure.

I went to an online ballistics calculator and did a little checking on loads from a 410. These are just close estimates as I am no expert in these matters, but was curious for my own self.

000 buckshot ball = 0.36 inch and weighs about 0.166 oz or @ 70 grains.
So 3 buckshot balls weigh about 1/2 oz.
So 3 buckshot balls moving at 1300 FPS gives a muzzle energy of @ 788 FPE
(or about 262 FPE per ball)

And 4 balls of 000 buckshot moving at 1200 FPS gives about 895 FPE
(more total mass, or about 223 FPE per ball of 4 each)

Not to shabby folks. A single hit is like a hit from a 38+P round.

At close range (5 to 10 feet) even birdshot would still impact as a wad of lead and transfer energy equivalent to or greater than 357 magnum hits.

As I said, I am no expert in these matters and one should run the numbers yourselves. But this is interesting food for thought.

----------------------------------------------------------------
(added info thru edit) I got to fire one round of the Federal 000 Buck 'Handgun" Load (4-ball) from the Mossberg 500 410 Fieldgun. I shot at a 2-liter coke bottle in front of a dirt berm at 40 yards. I did not notice any difference in recoil or noise. The buckshot missed the bottle. Two balls hit side by side at the base of the bottle, and two balls hit side by side about 8 inches to upper right. I tried to dig out the balls but gave up after a foot back into the mound of wet dirt.

Strange - I found the plastic wad/shot carrier on ground 10 feet in front of bottle. I could see the impressions of the 4 balls. One petal was missing. Could the shot carrier have contained the balls together for most of the distance??

NRA Member

Last edited by OldYeager; 11-03-2009 at 02:32 AM. Reason: new info

Old 11-02-2009, 04:42 AM   #12

Hello MJake ........................... OldYeager here.

I'll be first to admit, I'm no shooting expert by any means. I just love sharing my little experience and love of shooting.

I'm not sure I can objectively answer your question of 12 Ga comparison on felt recoil (kick) vs that of a 410. I know the 410 is very pleasent to shoot. And not so loud that all the neighbors dial 911 when I shoot it. ( I can't see the neighbors houses thru the woods, but I know they are over there).

On my experience with 12 Ga. slugs and buckshot from a short barrel, well they kick. Not anything you can't handle, but they can definately bruise you. I think I tend to get 'Tunnel Vision' when shooting the bigger calibers and seem to intensely focus on the target (man or beast, or paper). The report and shock and noise just seems to bounce off my body and I don't seem to notice such things. Only later might notice a little purple showing up on shoulder.

410 won't bruise you. But I think lots of folks settle on 20 Ga. And for home defence I like the short barrel shottys. I think SpittinFire on this forum somewhere probably has some pics of a nice home defence singleshot 410. I cant remember if the pics were his or someone elses. I liked that gun. I would buy a short barrel for my 410 pump if they made them, but I don't think they do.

Good luck in your search.

NRA Member

Old 11-03-2009, 02:42 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldYeager View Post
I think SpittinFire on this forum somewhere probably has some pics of a nice home defence singleshot 410. I cant remember if the pics were his or someone elses. I liked that gun. I would buy a short barrel for my 410 pump if they made them, but I don't think they do.
Well, Mossberg's 500 HS410 is a "short" barrel 410 pump, at least as short as legally allowed where I live.

Here are the specs:

Mossberg 500 HS410
Type = 6 SHOT
Gauge = .410
Chamber = 3"
Description = BEAD SIGHT, SPREADER CHOKE
Capacity = 9
Barrel = 18 1/2"
Sights = bead
Choke = SPREADER
Length = 37 1/4"
LOP = 13 7/8"
DAC = 1 1/2"
DAH = 2 1/8"
Finish = BLUE SYNTHETIC (BLACK)
Weight (lbs) = 5 1/2 LBS

http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50359.jpg

That's the one I'm thinking of getting. I hope to have it within the next few months and I will definitely post when I do to report on my experience with it.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:10 AM   #14

MJake ...

That is a nice looking little gun. Looks tactical.

Anyways, I'm sure you will like shooting it. On 410s, just aim it like you would your rifle and you will be good.

I'll try to keep an eye out for a short barrel for this Field Gun I have. But then, I have enjoyed doing a bit of target shooting with the long barrel. Its like rifle shooting with those slugs. I like that too. I have got to find a better place to shoot. The indoor range I go to with my pistols and revolvers is 40 miles away. And unless I move back to town (into an apartment) I really don't need this new shotgun for indoors intruders. I got plenty of handguns within easy reach to take care of whats indoors.

NRA Member

Old 11-06-2009, 05:56 PM   #15

Default Another milkjug hit

I had a chance to fire the 410 Federal 4-ball 000 buckshot again at a milkjug, and I fired the 410 3-ball 000 buckshot round too at the jug.

This test was from 30 yards. I'm kinda disappointed in accuracy of 4-ball 000 buck. No hit on the milkjug. Shots scattered all around within 40 inches circle.

But the 410 3-ball 000 buckshot, one ball hit milkjug, and other two balls hit dirt within 10 inches of jug.

Seems the more pellets sent downrange, the wider the spread. I guess the 410 4-ball 000 is really for the Judge Handgun (for upclose stuff).

NRA Member