New Moss500 pump scraps on tube???
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New Moss500 pump scraps on tube???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2011, 05:40 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Moss500 pump scraps on tube???

Ok never owned a shotgun and found the 500 series and like the price on the 50521 - simple parkerized with synth stock and pistol grip.

what its doing is after 5 cycles of the pump just checking it out ( put together except barrel had to be inserted and screwed in) is already leaves marks/lines on the choke, 1 is already silver I guess thru the coating to the metal underneath. Cant see how this wouldnt rust.

Is this what to expect with a pump action or is there a problem with this?

john

I can post a pic if it needs to be more specific

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 AM   #2

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

I have the Mossberg 500 persuader and no scratched from the pump anywhere.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM   #3

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Choke? Do you mean the mag tube? When you screwed in the barrel did the mag cap seat squarely? The fore end should slide along the mag tube, not make contact anywhere, perhaps one of the slide rods is bent or canted and is rubbing.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-21-2011, 11:50 AM   #4

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

Go to a gun store and look at the used pumps, and if you see any where the fore end tube didn't leave marks on the magazine tube by all means let me know. That's how they work. The magazine tube guides the fore end and it does create wear marks. Remington has sold over 10,000,000 870s and they do it too. You put oil on it and wipe off the excess and that prevents rust. I have a 1976 Wingmaster with some silver showing, and no rust. I suspect the Mossberg is second behind Remington in numbers sold, and there is nothing wrong with them either if that's what you prefer.
I do not see that specific model listed, but I don't believe that gun is Parkerized, but simply a matte (not polished) finish. Everything that is not polished blue is not Parkerizing. Parkerizing is smooth with a slight greenish grey tint to it. If I am wrong I beg your pardon, but I don't see many Parkerized models listed and they are more expensive.
Beware the ported barrels. I don't know why Mossberg has so embraced that feature, but they are loud and a pain in the butt.

What could have happened... did.

Old 04-21-2011, 06:17 PM   #5

Mossberg said shouldnt be doing it much when new, yes over time can mark up but this is less than 20 actions overnight and purchased new.

they are sending me a return slip, seems like the whole pump drags

Sorry for slight blur in pics my camera looks focused in the screen but not once a macro is on a big screen

Old 04-21-2011, 06:27 PM   #6

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Over time any part on part friction will "polish" the finish off but it will be a gradual process and the metal underneath will have a shiny, polished appearance. What you have appear to be scratch or gauge marks caused by metal on metal contact, not normal.
Glad to hear Mossberg stepped up for you.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 04-23-2011, 10:44 PM   #7

Liked 89 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 87

Yes that is normal nothing to worry about, all pumps will do at after a while of use, your dragging metal on metal, it is expected, nothing to worry about. you have to remember, there is nothing to buffer the forend on the tube, when holding a shotgun the weight of it in your hand is pushing down on the forend and raking it on the magtube, i suppose you can send it back but your next one will do the same thing, the more you use it the more it will smooth out metal burs and scratch less, if its a problem keep a light coat of oil on it.

Last edited by deathkricket; 04-23-2011 at 10:47 PM.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:33 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

It’s true they all do it but I feel yours is definitely excessive after 20 strokes of the forend. This 500 has a little over 500 shots through it and about 200 dry cycles.