New member with a question

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New member with a question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2008, 06:31 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New member with a question

Hello all! I'm new here on the forums and just had a quick question.

I own a Remington 870 express for home defense and hunting. problem is I've had to keep it in storage and locked up tight because I've been away on business a lot(no deer hunting for me this season! ). I took it out a couple of days ago just to make sure everything was still nice and clean and I found a tiny bit of surface rust just above the ejection port. I would like to know if there is any way to clean this up and how I should oil/grease my gun up better for storage, until i am home more often. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-04-2008, 01:32 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

If it is blued use 0000 steel wool and solvent/light oil. Get the steel wool sopping wet and rub off the rust. The rust you are removing is more abrasive than the steel wool so you must keep it flushed away with the solvent.

If your 870 is parkerized (Express model) use a pencil. The lead (graphite) is slightly abrasive and will rub out the rust. Remember to oil the surface after either treatment.

Note to all. Bluing and Parkerizing do little or nothing to prevent rust. They simply etch the surface to allow oil to adhere. Polished steel, in the white, will not hold oil and will rust in short order. Keep those guns oiled or get them plated in a true rust preventative like Nickel, Satin Nickel, Electroless Nickel, Black T, etc

Old 11-04-2008, 08:11 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robocop10mm View Post
If it is blued use 0000 steel wool and solvent/light oil. Get the steel wool sopping wet and rub off the rust. The rust you are removing is more abrasive than the steel wool so you must keep it flushed away with the solvent.

If your 870 is parkerized (Express model) use a pencil. The lead (graphite) is slightly abrasive and will rub out the rust. Remember to oil the surface after either treatment.

Note to all. Bluing and Parkerizing do little or nothing to prevent rust. They simply etch the surface to allow oil to adhere. Polished steel, in the white, will not hold oil and will rust in short order. Keep those guns oiled or get them plated in a true rust preventative like Nickel, Satin Nickel, Electroless Nickel, Black T, etc
Great! thanks for answering the rust question!
also should i grease the receiver or anything like that? i used gun oil the last time i put it in storage, and should i invest in some painters descant to reduce the moisture content where i store my shotgun?

Old 11-04-2008, 10:25 PM   #4

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Did you put it in a gun case with foam in it. I heard that putting a firearm in a padded case will case this. I left my NEF 12 gauge behind the seat in my truck for about a week and surface rust developed on most of the metal parts, barrel, reciever, mag tube. I just took it in the house and wiped gun oil on it. After it dried, the rust didn't come back. I guess I got it early enough that it was in the very early stages of surface rust.

The funny thing is, my 1911 has been in the door for months and has not one spot of rust on it.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 11-05-2008, 06:46 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
Did you put it in a gun case with foam in it. I heard that putting a firearm in a padded case will case this. I left my NEF 12 gauge behind the seat in my truck for about a week and surface rust developed on most of the metal parts, barrel, reciever, mag tube. I just took it in the house and wiped gun oil on it. After it dried, the rust didn't come back. I guess I got it early enough that it was in the very early stages of surface rust.

The funny thing is, my 1911 has been in the door for months and has not one spot of rust on it.
Yes i do keep it in a foam case, really theres no rust anywhere else, i oiled the the moving parts, the barrel, and the mag tube quite well. the rust right now(and soon to be nonexistent) is cosmetic. i am going to remove the rust, oil it up real good and put it in a gun sock with some descant in the case i have. hopefully it will keep. and soon i will not be traveling for months! it figures id stop traveling just as the ranges by me are getting ready to close for the season haha.

my uncles remington model 11 sits in a wet basement and looks brand new with no care what so ever... they sure knew how to build quality arms way back in the day...

Old 11-05-2008, 04:08 PM   #6

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

http://accurateshooter.wordpress.com/2008/07/26/video-guide-to-rust-removal-from-brownells/

Old 11-05-2008, 09:39 PM   #7

That's a great video! thank you very much.