New Maverick Model 88 for Home Defense
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New Maverick Model 88 for Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2010, 02:59 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New Maverick Model 88 for Home Defense

Don't let the gun snobs talk you into giveing way too much.
Maverick Model 88 Price: $209.99 retail

12 gauge - 20 inch barrel - 8 shot tube magazine

Gave $150.00 for mine a few weeks ago at a jacksonville Florida gunshow.
Brand new, unfired, in the box.

Ran 50 rounds of Walmart / Winchester #4 Buckshot through it,
as well as 5 rounds of Remintion Slugger 3 inch Mag. Rifled slugs,
and 5 rounds of Reminton 3 inch Mag. # 4 Buckshot.

Slot like a dream, cleaned up with Just WD40.

MAVERICK ARMS 88 12/20 8RD CB SYN

-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-01-2010, 01:54 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Kenny, WD40 is not good for the finish on any firearm. That's stuff is good for squeaks and adhesive tape removal. Try some Hoppes and Rem oil.

Otherwise, that a nice firearm for the bucks.

God, Family, Guns, in that order.

Old 10-01-2010, 08:54 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter Joe View Post
Kenny, WD40 is not good for the finish on any firearm. That's stuff is good for squeaks and adhesive tape removal. Try some Hoppes and Rem oil.

Otherwise, that a nice firearm for the bucks.
Uh Oh, here we go with the WD40 issue... I'll just say one thing: I've used WD40 for over 40 years on all of my firearms, including expensive doubles, and it has never harmed any finish of any kind. I still wipe the outside down with it prior to putting away any gun, and it is the last patch to go down the barrel. I think the thought that WD40 harms guns is an urban legend--my proof is in the actual use of it for longer than I care to remember...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 01-06-2011, 12:34 AM   #4
RMc

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Use a good gun oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
Uh Oh, here we go with the WD40 issue... I'll just say one thing: I've used WD40 for over 40 years on all of my firearms, including expensive doubles, and it has never harmed any finish of any kind. I still wipe the outside down with it prior to putting away any gun, and it is the last patch to go down the barrel. I think the thought that WD40 harms guns is an urban legend--my proof is in the actual use of it for longer than I care to remember...

...for lubing the mechanism.

WD40 is a great water displacing rust preventatve for external metal surfaces - however it gums up over time on internal mechanisms and should be avoided for this use.

Last edited by RMc; 01-06-2011 at 04:34 AM.

Old 01-06-2011, 04:18 AM   #5

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

img00047-20110105-2110.jpg

This little 88 has had I bet 2k rnds through it. I finaly after so many rnds and complaining by my wife let her use it as her home defense shotgun. A side note I also picked up one of their .308s and I have to say that the Maverick line is impressive!!!

Old 01-06-2011, 06:27 AM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by krazykeny View Post

Don't let the gun snobs talk you into giveing way too much.
Maverick Model 88 Price: $209.99 retail

-
I'm glad to hear someone is having luck with theirs. Maybe they've improved since I bought mine. I have a Maverick 88 and I have to say that mine is the biggest piece of junk that I've ever owned. For every shell I eject, it spits at least 1 live shell out on the floor out of the bottom. Then the elevator broke and now its unusable. Unless I can find used parts, I'd be in it for what the thing was worth to get it fixed. Call me a "gun snob" but I won't own another. Instead of fixing it, I think I'm gonna get a basic Rem 870 so I'm not chasing more crap with good money.

Give a man a match and he'll be warm for a few seconds. Light him on FIRE and he'll be warm for the rest of his life!

Old 01-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #7

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I bought a maverick 88 about 1 month ago and it has ran flawless with the 250 rounds I have put through it. I am very impressed with the gun and it is built very solid. The blued finish on the maverick is also a plus compared to the flat scratch easy finish being put on the new 870 line, I know this for a fact as I have a new 870 and it's showing lots of wear after only 3 months.