Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   New Ithica (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/new-ithica-70112/)

TheOldMan 08-11-2012 06:09 PM

New Ithica

3 Attachment(s)
For years I have imagined owning an Ithica.. Now I do :) I started out looking for the 58 cal Sears and Roebuck I'd seen 4 weeks prior but it got sold :( But no biggie since there are plenty of used guns to choose from at my local gun store. While looking over the racks, I came upon this Model 51 Featherwieght Magnum. Out the door for $200 which for me was a good deal. It's pretty much lost all it's finish but is not pitted. This is a perfect gun for me to restore so here I go.. Before pics are posted.. I'll keep ya'll posted on it's progress..

texaswoodworker 08-11-2012 07:30 PM

Nice shotty. Looks like she'll clean up nicely.

TheOldMan 08-11-2012 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texaswoodworker (Post 900637)
Nice shotty. Looks like she'll clean up nicely.

Thanks.. I think this will be an easy project. Blast then polish then blue and restore the wood furniture.. Looking at value, I'm pretty sure i could turn a profit if I chose to sell it but this will not happen cause, (like I said), I've always wanted an Ithica.. :p

TheOldMan 08-12-2012 01:30 PM

While I believe the restoration of this piece is gonna be an easy project, getting information on this model is proving to be very difficult.. From what I've gathered, the gun "may" have been made in the mid 70's. Serial number is: 51002XXXX which in of in itself means very little since it appears you can't trace model 51's by their serial numbers. So I'm asking for some help from ya'll .. I've sent a request to Ithaca for information but in the meantime, if any of you can help out, please do..

Thanks in advance

Virginian 08-12-2012 09:57 PM

When someone says Ithaca, that is not the gun they usually mean. About all I can remember about them is they came out sometime in the '70s, and they said they were going to unseat the 1100, and didn't. I seem to remember there were some kind of issues. Ithaca may be able to help you out. I believe they bought the leftover parts and stuff for all the old designs except the Mag-10. Good luck.

TheOldMan 08-13-2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Virginian (Post 901688)
When someone says Ithaca, that is not the gun they usually mean. About all I can remember about them is they came out sometime in the '70s, and they said they were going to unseat the 1100, and didn't. I seem to remember there were some kind of issues. Ithaca may be able to help you out. I believe they bought the leftover parts and stuff for all the old designs except the Mag-10. Good luck.

I'm not following the first portion of your posting but in any event, Here's a little bit of Ithaca's history:

http://www.ithacagun.com/history.html

These folks have been around a long time and made some outstanding firearms and still do IMO. But anywho, I sent a request for information to Ithaca and am waiting to hear from them.

WebleyFosbery38 08-13-2012 10:50 AM

Nice piece! Ive got a M# 37 Featherlight Deerslayer and the Bird Barrel I used for the last 35 years and I love it, it was well loved even before I bought it in the mid 70's. The Deerslayer will kick your butt if your not ready for it, Featherlight mean Moose Kick! Lots of Pheasant and Grouse fell to her over the years. Ithaca around here is like Remington elsewhere; if your a New York Firearm owner, you probably own at least one Ithaca.

Interesting note, the City of Ithaca is about as gun friendly as the UK, they like to be remembered for Cornell College not Arms Manufacturing. Odd for a city whos most recognizable claim to fame was once guns! On the other hand, if you go just one county north, a little podunk town called Ilion is Remington Arms Central! Mention Gun control there and you will be found in the Gorge with no pulse!

TheOldMan 08-13-2012 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WebleyFosbery38 (Post 902233)
Nice piece! Ive got a M# 37 Featherlight Deerslayer and the Bird Barrel I used for the last 35 years and I love it, it was well loved even before I bought it in the mid 70's. The Deerslayer will kick your butt if your not ready for it, Featherlight mean Moose Kick! Lots of Pheasant and Grouse fell to her over the years. Ithaca around here is like Remington elsewhere; if your a New York Firearm owner, you probably own at least one Ithaca.

Interesting note, the City of Ithaca is about as gun friendly as the UK, they like to be remembered for Cornell College not Arms Manufacturing. Odd for a city whos most recognizable claim to fame was once guns! On the other hand, if you go just one county north, a little podunk town called Ilion is Remington Arms Central! Mention Gun control there and you will be found in the Gorge with no pulse!

Probably why Ithaca moved out of Ithaca NY to start with... I did get a response from Ithaca this morning and unfortunately they were not able to supply me with any info on my Mod 51. No records got included in the move from NY to Ohio. Got the same song and dance I get from the interwebz.. I'm going to assume my gun is from the 70's simply based on wear of the finish.. This was a well used gun but not abused...

TheOldMan 08-22-2012 03:09 PM

To update my progress on the restoration, I got some really good advice from a fella on shotgunworlds's forum site concerning the 51's. The buffers tend to crack with age which may in turn cause a failure of the carrier which (by the way ) you can't get anymore. So I'm ordering the new receiver, and bolt buffers and decided to replace the action spriing also since it also turns out that Ithaca used actions springs that were already on the week side to start with. I'm replacing the buffers because after I got the info, I inspected them and they both had hairline cracks in them...

So far I've bead blasted the receiver and barrel, removed the old finish off the wood furniture, polished and reblued the receiver, and put a nice mahogany stain on the wood. I'm in the process of polishing the barrel right now. I'll post pictures when I get the chance but I've got to say, this is gonna be one sweet shotgun when it's completed....

TheOldMan 09-03-2012 03:16 PM

Restoration Completed

3 Attachment(s)
The "after' pictures of the model 51 Ithaca. New bufferes and action spring installed.