Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > New guy, dumb question

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default New guy, dumb question

I was hoping someone could help me because most of my friends seem clueless on this subject. I have a Benelli Super Nova 12 gauge which was shipped with 3 choke tubes (I think one is IC and M, not sure about the other). What choke tubes are safe to use with slugs? Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through the bare tube with the choke threads exposed? Don't want to damage this fine shotgun or myself. Thanks in advance for the help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-20-2008, 09:37 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
I was hoping someone could help me because most of my friends seem clueless on this subject. I have a Benelli Super Nova 12 gauge which was shipped with 3 choke tubes (I think one is IC and M, not sure about the other). What choke tubes are safe to use with slugs? Can I shoot slugs or buckshot through the bare tube with the choke threads exposed? Don't want to damage this fine shotgun or myself. Thanks in advance for the help.
well first there are no stupid questions
next only use shot not slugs with any choke
do not shoot your gun with no choke (thread only) you may damage your gun
ok that sed see if you can get a poly they do have a slug setting
http://www.poly-choke.com/

Suppose you were an idiot. And suppose you were a member of Congress....
But then I repeat myself.
-Mark Twain

Old 08-05-2008, 01:10 AM   #3

Default Did you check the manual?

If you haven't figured it out yet, you should be able to look in your manual that came with your gun. If you bought it 2nd hand & didn't get the manual you should be able to go to the Benelli web site & request one to be sent to you. It's usually free of charge. I know that with my Winchester 1300 the manual says that you can use the Improved Cylinder choke tube for sabot type slugs. Or you can order the rifled slug barrel for rifled slugs. This info is probably a little late for you now though since this thread is from April

Last edited by firehammer; 08-05-2008 at 01:24 AM. Reason: delete double post

Old 08-05-2008, 01:21 AM   #4

Default Did you check the manual?

If you haven't figured it out yet, you should be able to look in your manual that came with your gun. If you bought it 2nd hand & didn't get the manual you should be able to go to the Benelli web site & request one to be sent to you. It's usually free of charge. I know that with my Winchester 1300 the manual says that you can use the Improved Cylinder choke tube for sabot type slugs. Or you can order the rifled slug barrel for rifled slugs.

Then again that is my Win. Not your Benelli! This info is probably a little late for you now though since this thread is from April.

Oh yeah definitly DO NOT shoot anything through your barrel without a choke tube installed. ( that other choke tube is probably a full choke.)