Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Are "New England Firearms" shotguns any good?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2009, 11:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Are "New England Firearms" shotguns any good?

If you've seen my thread about .410 ammo, I am now thinking about getting a 12 gauge for the cheaper ammo and better skeet shooting. I'm on a real tight budget so I've been hoping to find a cheap used shotgun, and I did manage to find one today: a NEF Pardner 12GA with a 28" ribbed barrel, for $200 at a good, friendly dealer. It's used and there on consignment but it looks to be in excellent shape to me, clean, no scratches or marks and seems to function flawlessly. My only concern is that it's made in China so I wanted to see what you guys have to say about it, and whether $200 is a fair price (it seems right to me).

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2009, 11:37 PM   #2

NEF is a great company. Some people hate them, i dont know why.

Pardners are great. Single shot or pump..awesome guns.

Good price.

S.S.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:49 PM   #3

Liked 120 Times on 91 Posts

$200 for a used NEF single shot is quite high in my opinion, and I have never seen one with a ribbed barrel. The ones I have seen do work.

Old 02-19-2009, 11:55 PM   #4

Oops. I must have read right over the "used" part!
You can get a NEF pardner pump brand new for a little over $200.

S.S.

Old 02-20-2009, 12:56 AM   #5

I forgot to mention that it is a pump, and it shoots 2 3/4" and 3" shells. The $200 price includes a free trial at their range (normally $11 per half hour) and I could get a discount on membership but I won't be getting a membership. What price do you think they normally get used? If it's not a huge difference, I'm not too put off because Long Island prices are high anyway, I'm too far from any other dealers and I feel like this is the type of gun I'm looking for in the price range I'm looking for. Also I really appreciated the customer service at the dealer.

I'd love to hear more opinions and suggestions though so keep them coming.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:12 AM   #6

They only throw the free trial in so you'll have more motivation to buy. If the gun isn't beat up or damaged, but only has been shot previously...then $200 is a good price. I'm in CNY. So you're only..8 hrs away

S.S.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:34 AM   #7

I know, but it's better than not getting a free shot at their range. At least I get to find out then if the gun is defective. One time I bought an M1 carbine and brought it all the way home to have it blow up in my face (literally), so I had to go all the way back and return it. Well, most of it.

Old 02-20-2009, 01:42 AM   #8

If I got that offer, I'd go for it. Most of the time, ranges/dealers wont sell you a defected gun. I try to buy brand new, if possible. Good luck with your decision!

S.S.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:34 AM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default NEF makes great guns

I bought one last year for $180 brand new, never fired and I've had ZERO problems out of it. Everytime I slide the pump it chambers a shell and goes bang flawlessly. The NEF pump is basically an 870 clone for half the price, as most 870 parts will fit (except a barrel). My "Protector" has an 18" barrel with no choke so it's shot pattern is pretty wide making it a good home defense shotgun and a good slug gun. I've shot everything from Remington punkin' ball slugs, #8 shot all the way up to "00" buck and everything in between through my NEF and not had any problems.

This one is my NEF Pardner Tracker II single shot. It's the mack daddy of single shot deer shotguns, IMO. I let my father-in-law borrow it last deer season and he dropped a 12 point buck in his tracks from 170 yards. I can hit a target at 200 with this shotgun. It's got a fully rifled "Bull" barrel and I always shoot Remington Coppersolid sabot slugs in this gun. The only drawback to this gun is that it is very heavy for a shotgun of this type. It weighs about 16 lbs, that bull barrel is just under 3/8" thick, but it kicks very little. It sounds like a 105mm Howitzer when it goes off but it doesn't kick.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

jonp36 Likes This 
Old 02-23-2009, 01:50 PM   #10

Liked 9 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragunovsks View Post
I bought one last year for $180 brand new, never fired and I've had ZERO problems out of it. Everytime I slide the pump it chambers a shell and goes bang flawlessly. The NEF pump is basically an 870 clone for half the price, as most 870 parts will fit (except a barrel). My "Protector" has an 18" barrel with no choke so it's shot pattern is pretty wide making it a good home defense shotgun and a good slug gun. I've shot everything from Remington punkin' ball slugs, #8 shot all the way up to "00" buck and everything in between through my NEF and not had any problems.
Glad to hear that. I've seen them around and they are the cheapest ones on the shelf. I have a single shot NEF, so I was definitely considering that model. Plenty of 12 gauge on the shelves everywhere so adding a shotgun into the self defense mix might be a good idea at this time.

9x18=Makarov