Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   New barrel for Mossberg Cruiser (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/new-barrel-mossberg-cruiser-38541/)

Scratchammo 02-16-2011 02:43 AM

New barrel for Mossberg Cruiser

Well I'm never lending my guns out ever again. Long story short- the barrel exploded. I was at a gun store today asking if they get cruiser barrels & the guy said yes but it'd have to be sized. Aren't they uniform?

deathkricket 02-16-2011 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 446442)
Well I'm never lending my guns out ever again. Long story short- the barrel exploded. I was at a gun store today asking if they get cruiser barrels & the guy said yes but it'd have to be sized. Aren't they uniform?

I dont know why he said they have to be sized or what he even means by that but as long as it matches up with your mag tube any one will swap on, i dont know what mag tube size you have but for example, i went to cabellas a few days ago and bought a 18" barrel for my 500 and swaped it for my 28"er. cost me $90. if your moss has the 5 rnd tube any 500 barrel will drop right on, if you have the 8 or 9 shot, you will have to order it from mossbergs website because most gun stores only carry barrels for the regular 500 which is the 5 rnd tube, i know i prolly just confused you but if you have any questions pm me or something and ill hook you up. once again i dont know if you have a cabella's near you but they carry a slue of moss barrels in stock from 18 to 28".

skullcrusher 02-16-2011 03:57 AM

Maybe he said 'sized' as in "how many shells does it hold?"

Mossy barrels can be found all over the place. Most major sporting goods stores that sell them will have a selection of Mossy barrels. You can order them on-line. The best part is that there are so many options, you can find the best price with little effort.

Scratchammo 02-16-2011 04:01 AM

Well it's a 6 round barrel with an 18.5" open choke. He said something about shavings but I didn't catch most of it.

DarinCraft 02-16-2011 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scratchammo (Post 446442)
the guy said yes but it'd have to be sized.

:confused::confused::confused::confused:I'm as confused as a transvestite at a EMO clothing store.

deathkricket 02-16-2011 12:04 PM

Cool, you in luck, they are the most common barrels store sell, just find one at any local sporting goods store and drop it on and your ready to rock, im assuming you already broke you shotty down and gave it a good looking over, theres gotta be a good reason it blew up so make sure to do a good look over for and cracks or runs in the bolt or reciver, cartridge stops and interupters, etc, if everything looks good your golden to slap on your new barrel. any store lick dick's, big 5's, cabella's, etc more then likely will carry the 18" barrel and should run you between 80 and $100. i am currious what lead to the barrel going boom if ya dont mind me asking, wasent a 3 1/2" shell stuffed in their was it :D

skullcrusher 02-18-2011 04:21 AM

dk,

I believe he posted another thread somewhere else that the guy he loaned it to ended up getting the barrel stuffed with snow or something like that while hunting. That is if I remember correctly.

Good point on checking out everything else because of the blow-up. But, if it was at the muzzle then things are most likely good to go but need close inspection just as a matter of it has to be done.

I would look at some other places rather than the big retailers first, as deals can be had. Sportsman's Guide, Midway, Natchez, Cheaper Than (Gold) Dirt...

Scratchammo 02-18-2011 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 448023)
dk,

I believe he posted another thread somewhere else that the guy he loaned it to ended up getting the barrel stuffed with snow or something like that while hunting. That is if I remember correctly.

You sir are correct. I posted on the Random Thoughts page about it, he dropped the gun muzzle down in the snow & fired it shortly after. I was in luck when I found one at Guns & Ammo for $106.00. There was no other damage to the gun but it does draw my interest towards the 590 with the thicker barrel wall.

deathkricket 02-18-2011 09:52 AM

Ehh you dont have to spring for a whole new gun, just mind your muzzel, I would be kinda scared to see what happens if something were to happen again and the barrel didnt blow, i imagine something eles would blow and i wouldnt wana be behind it when that happens. But then again the 590A1 isnt a bad shotty if you wana spring for one.

Scratchammo 02-18-2011 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deathkricket (Post 448091)
Ehh you dont have to spring for a whole new gun, just mind your muzzel, I would be kinda scared to see what happens if something were to happen again and the barrel didnt blow, i imagine something eles would blow and i wouldnt wana be behind it when that happens. But then again the 590A1 isnt a bad shotty if you wana spring for one.

I'll probably keep my 500 but still get the 590. It has rifle sights that make a perfect combination with Flitecontrol buckshot. It's also sailor proof, I know ;)