Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Nef12ga hd?? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/nef12ga-hd-40741/)

smokinbunta 04-03-2011 06:17 PM

Nef12ga hd??

Hi, since im new to guns, only having gotten my FNX-40 a couple weeks ago. I already few the urge to buy my next 1!! And i'm looking for a shoty for HD (i dont hunt and dont really plan on hunting.. maybe some trap shooting tho).

Now I've been looking on the internet only so far and once I've had enough of reading them, i go to the store to find out more. i'm still currently in the internet stage of my research, and i have narrowed it down to the Benelli Nova pump, Mossberg 500SP, or the Remington 870 Express, which all seem to hover around my $400 budget. Until i saw the NEF 12GA having read reviews on it that its pretty much a replica of the 870.. and that its solid for sub $300. i wanted to see if anyone here has experience with it and can confirm that this is worth the time to even consider.

Thanks,
Ray

doctherock 04-03-2011 06:20 PM

I like my Mossberg 500 persuader. Holds 8, 2 3/4 rounds and shoots nice and smooth. I paid $279 at big 5 sports for it.

Gatoragn 04-03-2011 07:03 PM

Nef + h&r

NEF makes good products. I have a Handi Rifle and it is well made. I am pretty sure Marlin is part of the same company.

I cannot give hands on knowledge of the NEF pump shotgun, just that they are a reputable company.

Alchemist 04-03-2011 07:20 PM

I have a 12 ga. Pardner Pump. HD gun for me. It's fine for the price. One thing to know about is that it's stamped - Made in China, Hawk Industries - on the receiver. I don't really have much commentary about that... just a point of information... From what I understand, Remington-Marlin-H&R-NEF are all parts of a large conglomerate now.

smokinbunta 04-03-2011 11:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alchemist (Post 478588)
I have a 12 ga. Pardner Pump. HD gun for me. It's fine for the price. One thing to know about is that it's stamped - Made in China, Hawk Industries - on the receiver. I don't really have much commentary about that... just a point of information... From what I understand, Remington-Marlin-H&R-NEF are all parts of a large conglomerate now.

yea i read that they were all owned by the same people.. and if its all works the same.. i guess its just down to the fact preference of where its made... and when it comes to guns i do lean toward US made.. i guess that cancels things out.. back to my original choices.

bgeddes 04-04-2011 12:06 AM

New Maverick 88 shotguns are sub-$200 new. Not a gun for weekly use but certainly ok for HD.

aandabooks 04-04-2011 02:01 AM

When I was in the market for my son's first gun in the fall, I ran across an H&R 20 gauge youth in camo. Dealer wanted $250. I couldn't get past the Made in China stamped into the receiver and instead spent an extra $50 and bought the Rem 870 20 gauge youth.

9mmgun 04-08-2011 05:26 PM

I have a NEF Pardner Pump 12 GA. Purchased it new about 3 yrs ago, paid a little over $150 for it. Took it to my local range while it was still in the wrapped in the box. We oiled it a bit & I proceeded to put 100 flawless 00buck rds through it. (has a tough kick, I was black & blue for a few weeks afterwords) It has never given me any problem what so ever. It's my home defense shotgun & I have no problem trusting it.

smokinbunta 04-10-2011 09:15 PM

^^ hrm.. ive always been half worried about the whole 12GA kick.. but im a good size guy..(5'8/ 200) i should be good right?

ta1588 04-11-2011 06:55 PM

It's a great gun. A bit on the heavy side, but very very reliable and holds 5 in the tube, you can also put anything that will fit a Rem 870 on it aside from barrels and a few things that are made to go over the back curve of the receiver because the shape is a bit different.