Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > need trap/hunting gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2007, 01:25 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default need trap/hunting gun

i hate to be the gun who says 'which one' but im looking to get a 12ga shotgun thats an all around gun. I shoot trap pretty often but i also would like the option of going for deer too so im thinking of a gun where a slug barrel would be available. i dont want an 870 and i was thinking of a mossberg model 500 which ive shot and liked but i was just wondering if there was anything out there that has served you guys well that kind of fits that criteria. thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-27-2007, 12:14 AM   #2

I personally think it all depends on what you have. Just adapt the available ammunition to the intended usage. For all my outside the home shotgun use, I have a Ruger Red Label Sporting Clays. Works for me. I hunt birds, shoot trap, skeet, sporting clays with it. My son used it to kill a deer a few years back. Buy a gun for what you will use it most for. Then for everything else, adapt.

What about Rem. 1100 or similar?

Old 09-24-2007, 01:10 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

The 500 mossy is a good gun and you will be able to do both with it, but if your talking about putting 200 round through it a week the Rem. 870 would hold up better. ou might be better off going with an old Win. model 12 for trap and getting a New England arm single shot with a rifled barrel. The model 12 will shoot forver and no more than you will shoot the slug gun you will be able to take the recoil.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 09-30-2007, 03:59 PM   #4

I would consider a Beretta 390. You can get a synthetic, American made 390 at Wal-Mart for around $500. The gas system will be easy on your shoulder and it's dead nuts reliable. Ask around at the trap range. The 390 was the rental gun of choice for years.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:50 PM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Chainshaw,
I`ve seen alot of 390`s on the trap range, but do they market a slug barrel for it??? That I`ve never seen. Personally I`m a pump gun fan and prefer the model 12 Win`s., but there are no rifled slug barrels available for them, and beside I hunt deer with a handgun.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 10-02-2007, 02:32 AM   #6

Hastings makes smooth or rifled barrels for the 390. Of course, you could always put a rifled choke tube in it.

The Model 1300 Winchester is a smooth operating pump. It has a rotary bolt that is very fast. I know that there are slug barrels for them, too.

Remington 1100s are very nice, but they are somewhat on the heavy side.