Need some advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need some advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-04-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need some advice

Hello, I am just now getting into guns and will be joining my local range next week. I own two pistols and am looking to purchase a shotgun for shooting sporting clays. I was told by some to go for a over and under because it's easier to clean and for shooting clays that would be the way to go. I'm open for suggestions. My budget is low about 300 to 500 dollars. Most importantly is even at my older age I consider myself a beginner as I have limited shooting time. I'd appreciate any suggestions. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-04-2009, 08:07 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I'd go with a pump as they're more versatile. With a simple swap of the barrel, you can go from skeet gun to goose gun to zombie blaster.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Last edited by matt g; 01-04-2009 at 08:09 PM.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:22 PM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off - Welcome to the Forum.

If it's JUST for sporting clays and not for home defense or serious competition, an over and under is a great choice.

Both barrels share the same sight line and a breach load is a piece of cake to reload with some practice.

A ton of guys shoot over and under for sport, but not for competition.

If you are serious about competition, where speed is essential, I would recommend a semi auto loading system.

It kind fo depends on what level of shooting you are wanting to compete at and how serious you are about it. $300 to $500 is a lot of basic shotgun, but not so much when you get into competition guns.

Do you have any that you are looking at that you like?

Old 01-04-2009, 08:28 PM   #4

Default Just for fun

I'll use it for fun probably keep it handy for home defense (just in case) but I have a 40 cal Springfield XDM and a Springfield XDSC9 for CC. So in a nutshell I'm just looking for something to have fun with, no competition shooting. I haven't looked at anything yet going to wait for replies then head out to my local gunshop. Thanks again.

Old 01-04-2009, 08:34 PM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

If it's just for fun and shooting clays with the guys, an over and under would suit you just fine.

I had a old, old Winchester over and under 12 guage that I used to shoot clays with back in the day. That thing never missed a beat and always was a good reliable gun.

Their products now a days are pretty spendy - but if you can find an old used one, it will treat you right.

Best of luck with the search -

JD

Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

I haven't shot skeet in years, but when I did, I had a Winchester 120 Youth. My dad, brother and I would go out a few times per month and blast through a case of ammo and a few cases of clays. I was able to shoot doubles and triples with it at age 14. I've tried O/Us a few times, but because all of my muscle memory came from a pump, it just didn't feel right.

When it comes down to it, the best advice is to go to a gun shop and handle everything in your price range. See if any of your buddies have the models that you like and see if you can't get them to go to the range with you so you can try it out. Get what feels best to you.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 01-04-2009, 09:22 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Hey welcome! Dont think you'll find a "good" O/U for that price, but you can find a heck of a semi that will fit the need in that price range. And recoil for sporting clays loads can be tamed down by the recoil system. Just a couple of thoughts.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:35 AM   #8

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I don't know about all sporting clays shooters but with almost all shooters that I see, over/unders dominate MAJOR-especially in competition. I do my best shooting on skeet and sporting clays with my Browning Citori. I have a Ruger Red Label and while being a little heavier and different balance, it shoots almost as good.

As far as an semiauto, I recently got a Stoeger model 2000 in 12 gauge for those times I don't want to take a chance of scratching up the beautiful wood on my Benelli Legacy 12 gauge. This shotgun which sells for only just over 400$, comes complete with 5 choke tubes, suprized the hell out of me on how good it shoots. It's very lightweight, recoils MUCH less than you would expect, and uses the exact same inertia operating system as my more expensive Benelli. Frankly I was amazed on how well it shoots. In fact, just had it out today shooting claybirds when my nephew and his friend came down. So far, it's digested everything I've fed it from the lightest skeet reloads, to 3" turkey magnum loads without a single malfunction of any kind!
For somebody that needs a 400$ semiauto-I can HEARTILY reccomend it.

Old 01-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #9

One of the arguments for over/unders is that you can have two chokes ready to go for the different ranges on shots you encounter. Can't do that with a single barrel.

You can have a blast with a field gun at clays. Don't need a $15,000 gun.

Check out CZ O/U shotguns. Nicely made, some under $700.00 new.

Old 02-17-2009, 01:57 AM   #10

Default Update on your Stoeger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
I don't know about all sporting clays shooters but with almost all shooters that I see, over/unders dominate MAJOR-especially in competition. I do my best shooting on skeet and sporting clays with my Browning Citori. I have a Ruger Red Label and while being a little heavier and different balance, it shoots almost as good.

As far as an semiauto, I recently got a Stoeger model 2000 in 12 gauge for those times I don't want to take a chance of scratching up the beautiful wood on my Benelli Legacy 12 gauge. This shotgun which sells for only just over 400$, comes complete with 5 choke tubes, suprized the hell out of me on how good it shoots. It's very lightweight, recoils MUCH less than you would expect, and uses the exact same inertia operating system as my more expensive Benelli. Frankly I was amazed on how well it shoots. In fact, just had it out today shooting claybirds when my nephew and his friend came down. So far, it's digested everything I've fed it from the lightest skeet reloads, to 3" turkey magnum loads without a single malfunction of any kind!
For somebody that needs a 400$ semiauto-I can HEARTILY reccomend it.
Stakingbear: How's the Stoeger holding up for you? I think I may have to get this one, let me know now that you've had it for a while, thanks