Need shotgun opinion - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need shotgun opinion

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 89 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotzORemmies View Post
Not trying to bag on what people are saying, but aren't most of the shotguns at Big5 factory seconds? As in, they didn't completely pass quality standards. Buddy of mine got a 500 and it jammed up all the time. Just my experience (why I got a 870). But at the gun shop a few days ago, a guy showed up with a 870 that was brand new and had jammed on him, the four guys at the counter reamed him for using cheap ammo and told him to quit being a cheap azz and buy decent shells.

Most of the big chain stores buy in quanity, that is why they can sell for less, as their cost per unit is less. Granted, some of the big store guns are so-called seconds. Mechanically, they are no different than any other. The differences are usually in cosmetics, such as minor finish blemishes, wood to metal fit, etc. Most of the time you will never notice these blemishes, but they will save you money...

Jim....................

Old 01-15-2010, 03:07 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I think I've had my Mossy for about four years and never a hiccup. If it was a second, I can't find a flaw.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 01-15-2010, 06:45 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

^^^ My Mossy was VERY used from a pawn shop in 1995. I have bought some plastic furniture to lessen the ugly factor, but it has never failed to function. The long barrel it came with was fine, but i purchased an 18.5" barrel for home security use last year. I kept the long barrel in case i need to shoot something furry with it. This thing has been very Timex, IMO; it makes me think it would be great for beating on a burglar if the shells ran out.

Whatever you pick, consider one of those side saddle shell holders; there is a $20 or $30 model that attaches to the left side of the receiver very easily & holds 6 extra shells.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-15-2010, 09:27 PM   #14

I only have one firearm. A Mossberg 930. It was purchased just a few weeks ago for about about 470 out the door. (More than 30 dollars of cost is tax). It's a home/field combo that came with 2 barrels. I haven't actually used the 18.5" yet, but I have but 60-70 rounds through it with no problem. That doesn't sound like much, but, I had never shot/operated a semi before and I didn't have that much experience shooting pumps.... The 930 is really simple to operate, and the owners manual has a lot of diagrams and good information.

I fully anticipate owning my 930 forever. It's primarily a 'fun gun' for shooting clays with my uncle and cousins, however, there's a good bit of tactical accessories if you wanted to make it into a defense only gun. I might do that to mine one day just so I have an excuse to get something nice for clays and maybe a duck or two.

Good luck to you.

Old 01-15-2010, 10:46 PM   #15

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I bought my Mossy 500A at K-Mart over 20 years ago now. Got it for less than $200. I just saw in Cabela's (higher priced, but will match competitor) the 18.5 cylindrical bore for like $90. Plenty of affordable aftermarket stocks and all as well.

So, IMO, for the $500 or more, you can get a used Mossy 500, 18.5" new barrel and tacticool stocks and have plenty left over for shells for a full day at the range. Heck, you could even get a recoil pad and sling with plenty left over. HD barrel and clay disc barrel and ready for the Zombies.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #16

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marble View Post
I only have one firearm. A Mossberg 930. It was purchased just a few weeks ago for about about 470 out the door. (More than 30 dollars of cost is tax). It's a home/field combo that came with 2 barrels. I haven't actually used the 18.5" yet, but I have but 60-70 rounds through it with no problem. That doesn't sound like much, but, I had never shot/operated a semi before and I didn't have that much experience shooting pumps.... The 930 is really simple to operate, and the owners manual has a lot of diagrams and good information.

I fully anticipate owning my 930 forever. It's primarily a 'fun gun' for shooting clays with my uncle and cousins, however, there's a good bit of tactical accessories if you wanted to make it into a defense only gun. I might do that to mine one day just so I have an excuse to get something nice for clays and maybe a duck or two.

Good luck to you.
Nice to hear you like it, Marble. Dead bad guy everytime and practice, practice, practice.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-16-2010, 02:33 AM   #17

Thanks skull

Old 01-16-2010, 03:32 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
^^^ My Mossy was VERY used from a pawn shop in 1995. I have bought some plastic furniture to lessen the ugly factor, but it has never failed to function. The long barrel it came with was fine, but i purchased an 18.5" barrel for home security use last year. I kept the long barrel in case i need to shoot something furry with it. This thing has been very Timex, IMO; it makes me think it would be great for beating on a burglar if the shells ran out.

Whatever you pick, consider one of those side saddle shell holders; there is a $20 or $30 model that attaches to the left side of the receiver very easily & holds 6 extra shells.
With a sling that holds twenty more!!.... and three speed loaders. "strageparedness"

Old 01-16-2010, 01:11 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post

X2 on this 1 I bought the expandable buttstock shell holder that held 6 RNDS + I added a Bandoleer sling that held 25 RNDS an used another elastic arm band that held 6 RNDS and bought a pair of across the chest shotty bandoleers that held 26RNDS EACH (just for ease of transporting a bunch of rounds JIC the S ever HTF + I added a laser sight to mine (590) for HD so I would know for sure where the medicine will be going and also there's a large chance that when the Home intruder sees that red dot on his chest and hears that pump loudly rack he's gonna get real cooperative, real fast, quick, and in a hurry!
I always meant to get 1 of those side saddle shell holders and a speed feed stock but I never got around to it.

Hope we have been able to help you.
N.D.

Old 01-16-2010, 08:41 PM   #20

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mossbergs are great guns IMHO, although, those prices you posted are a little high. We sell the 500 Persuader for around $350.00 and that is our everyday price.

Go with the Mossy without worrying about quality but I think you can find a better deal. Ultimately, if your happy with your purchase, that's all that matters.

Shoot Straight and Stay Safe, Joe

God, Family, Guns, in that order.