Need a little help here. - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need a little help here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2010, 05:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Best choice would be a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with multiple barrels. Deer hunting will require slugs with or without a rifled barrel, skeet and turkey need different loads, choke and barrel length. Lots of options but getting it all for $400 will be a challenge.
Something like this Mossy at Buds might work for you.

Mossberg 54264 500 COMBO 12 28AC/24RSRB for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $316.00
I totally agree with you. 11 million 870 owners can't all be wrong. The Mossberg 500 is an equal. Only a turkey choke is needed. 00 buckshot for SD. Deer slugs? The 870 is so inexpensive why not just buy a starter rifle and scope for deer. A combo would not be my first choice.

Last edited by sigp250; 05-30-2010 at 05:37 AM.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:00 PM   #12
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigp250 View Post
The 870 is so inexpensive why not just buy a starter rifle and scope for deer.

There are many states which do not allow rifles for deer hunting, shotguns only. Yep, it's a stupid law.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-31-2010, 05:23 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
There are many states which do not allow rifles for deer hunting, shotguns only. Yep, it's a stupid law.
Scott, what states, Iowa?
The combo shotgun with a rifle barrel is a pump rifle in any state where rifle are not allowed for hunting. I'm not an avid hunter myself but several of my friends do hunt with a rifles. There are several white tail deer rifle hunters in Missouri not to mention other small fur bearing and varmints. Serious hunters I know plan trips to other states to hunt specifically for deer,elk, bear or whatever. In Southern Illinois, crossbow deer hunting is very popular.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:37 AM   #14

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
The combo shotgun with a rifle barrel is a pump rifle in any state where rifle are not allowed for hunting. I'm not an avid hunter myself but several of my friends do hunt with a rifles. There are several white tail deer rifle hunters in Missouri not to mention other small fur bearing and varmints. Serious hunters I know plan trips to other states to hunt specifically for deer,elk, bear or whatever. In Southern Illinois, crossbow deer hunting is very popular.
Just for clarity the gun shown above is a 12ga with a CB and rifled barrel for slugs, not a rifle barrel. It's always a 12 ga.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-31-2010, 05:45 AM   #15
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:

Both Iowa and Illinois prohibit rifles for deer hunting.

This site indicates several others.
What states outlaw using rifles for deer hunting? ? | Florida-Sportsman-Hunting

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 05-31-2010, 06:10 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
Just for clarity the gun shown above is a 12ga with a CB and rifled barrel for slugs, not a rifle barrel. It's always a 12 ga.
Thanks, I should have known that. I'm interested in shotguns and rifles but not much of a hunter.

Old 05-31-2010, 06:33 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
Both Iowa and Illinois prohibit rifles for deer hunting.

This site indicates several others.
What states outlaw using rifles for deer hunting? ? | Florida-Sportsman-Hunting
I guess that explains the crossbow hunters in IL. They always said they bow hunted because it was more of a challenge.

I lived in I Iowa for 5 years. We pheasant hunted on farms. We would have our limit by 10:00 am and nothing to do the rest of the day. I know one of the guys I was hunting with had a rifle because he went back in the field and shot a red fox running from the barn. That was back in the early 80's. Maybe it was legal back then. These were also large farms, around 2,000 acres.
Iowa was a great place to live as I remember. I sure can't understand the firearm laws as they are now.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:05 PM   #18
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
I guess that explains the crossbow hunters in IL. They always said they bow hunted because it was more of a challenge.

I lived in I Iowa for 5 years. We pheasant hunted on farms. We would have our limit by 10:00 am and nothing to do the rest of the day. I know one of the guys I was hunting with had a rifle because he went back in the field and shot a red fox running from the barn. That was back in the early 80's. Maybe it was legal back then. These were also large farms, around 2,000 acres.
Iowa was a great place to live as I remember. I sure can't understand the firearm laws as they are now.
You can use rifle on varmints here, and fox qualifies as well. They specifically prohibit them for deer however.

Scott

Quote:
Quote:
Join the NRA

Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #19

Okay so maybe a 20 gauge is the way to go maybe a 12 gauge. I can handle recoil, I am just curious about the punch it will give. If you can go turkey hunting and skeet shooting with a 20 gauge I'd be happy, I don't think I would be comfortable enough using a shotgun for deer hunting, I can just go hunting with my mom's friend's husband, the owner of the .270.
What exactly is a turkey choke?

"Change isn't good or bad. It just is." - Don Draper

Old 06-01-2010, 05:20 AM   #20

Liked 776 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 492

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
What exactly is a turkey choke?
A turkey is a big assed bird that is wily enough not to just walk up on you hiding in the woods. So you need a heavy shot that will work from a distance, trouble is heavy shot tends to spread out over said distance. The solution is to narrow the path the shot exits the muzzle of the gun...choke it if you will. A turkey choke is simply a choke designed for the shot weight and tight pattern required for turkey hunting. BTW, a very tight choke increases the felt recoil of the shot as the full weight of the shot is now passing through a narrower opening.

ChokeTubes.com | Choke Tubes, Choke Tube Useage Guide, Choke Tube Information

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington