Need a little help here.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need a little help here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2010, 12:54 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need a little help here.

Okay so after long consideration, I have decided A shotgun would be best for my next firearm. This is after I have thought about several different semi-auto and revolver pistols (that felt redundant).

So now that I have decided to go with a shotgun, what is the best for me? I know you have to go off of what feels best, but that will come when Im actually ready to buy. Im just going to supply some information about what I am looking for then you all can guide me with what will work best for me.

okay so here it is.
1. I am looking for something under $400.

2. I want something I can go Turkey hunting, Skeet shooting, and possibly deer hunting.... also if in case a situation like this may occur home security.

3. I don't know if I want a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge. I am worried the 12 gauge may be too strong for me, but I am worried the 20 gauge might not be strong enough to hunt.

4. I can't decide on Pump, auto, or double barrel.

"Change isn't good or bad. It just is." - Don Draper

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-29-2010, 01:15 AM   #2

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
Okay so after long consideration, I have decided A shotgun would be best for my next firearm. This is after I have thought about several different semi-auto and revolver pistols (that felt redundant).

So now that I have decided to go with a shotgun, what is the best for me? I know you have to go off of what feels best, but that will come when Im actually ready to buy. Im just going to supply some information about what I am looking for then you all can guide me with what will work best for me.

okay so here it is.
1. I am looking for something under $400.

2. I want something I can go Turkey hunting, Skeet shooting, and possibly deer hunting.... also if in case a situation like this may occur home security.

3. I don't know if I want a 12 gauge or a 20 gauge. I am worried the 12 gauge may be too strong for me, but I am worried the 20 gauge might not be strong enough to hunt.

4. I can't decide on Pump, auto, or double barrel.
Best choice would be a Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 with multiple barrels. Deer hunting will require slugs with or without a rifled barrel, skeet and turkey need different loads, choke and barrel length. Lots of options but getting it all for $400 will be a challenge.
Something like this Mossy at Buds might work for you.

Mossberg 54264 500 COMBO 12 28AC/24RSRB for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $316.00

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 05-29-2010, 01:22 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I would go with either a mossberg 500, or a remington 870. they are pretty close in price at about $270(rem870 via academy) and $280(moss500 via academy).
i have a maverick 88. its the same gun as the 500, just different furniture. i use it for skeet and all kinds of birds. i havent shot buckshot or slugs through it yet, just for the lack of wanting to.
both are excellent guns for the price. both are also pumps. if you want an auto, beneli has a standard nove for right around 400. i havent lookes at too many doubles, but i was looking into Yildez, and they go for about 400 also. personally, i dont think a double would make a very good deer or turkey gun.
hope this helped.

Speak softly and carry a big stick...just know how to use it.

Old 05-29-2010, 01:36 AM   #4

Okay so I am looking at the Mossberg 500, I will mark deer hunting off the list, I'll be new to hunting so I think turkey would be great to start with.

So now do I choose the 20 gauge or 12 gauge? Recoil is my main concern.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:13 AM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would say 12ga, thats just me.

12ga pump has a bit of a kick to it. It also depends on the load you shoot too. Regular dove/field loads are not bad at all with recoil. most turkey loads have more punch behind them, as do duck loads, buckshot, and slugs.
once you start shooting it youll get used to it. just keep it tucked in your shoulder nice and tight. I dont think its that bad.

I hope this doesnt scare you from buying the right gun if a 12 ga is it.
you might want to try and test fire both gauges with a few different loads to really find out what will suit you.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:49 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcramer View Post
I would say 12ga, thats just me.

12ga pump has a bit of a kick to it. It also depends on the load you shoot too. Regular dove/field loads are not bad at all with recoil. most turkey loads have more punch behind them, as do duck loads, buckshot, and slugs.
once you start shooting it youll get used to it. just keep it tucked in your shoulder nice and tight. I dont think its that bad.

I hope this doesnt scare you from buying the right gun if a 12 ga is it.
you might want to try and test fire both gauges with a few different loads to really find out what will suit you.
I just want to be sure it isn't going to dislocate my shoulder, lol.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:17 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

i dont think its that bad. ive shot many different loads, like a double reload, and just random lead reloads, and those hurt, but i dont think its enough to dislocate anything.

if you keep it firmly in your shoulder so your body will absorb the recoil you'll be fine. if its not firm, then as you shoot, the gun will kick back and it will feel like some one punched you on the shoulder. i honestly dont think its bad at all. i think youll be fine with a 12ga. but its your call

Old 05-30-2010, 02:41 AM   #8

Is the Recoil of a 12 gauge weaker, as strong or stronger than the recoil of .270 rifle? I got to feel the power of a .270 today, so if it's the same as it's all good, weaker even better!

Last edited by NymphoGnome; 05-30-2010 at 02:45 AM.

Old 05-30-2010, 03:31 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by NymphoGnome View Post
Is the Recoil of a 12 gauge weaker, as strong or stronger than the recoil of .270 rifle? I got to feel the power of a .270 today, so if it's the same as it's all good, weaker even better!
Yeah depends on what gun you shoot, some of the semi-autos aren't so bad, but in my opinion the 12 ga. recoil is more than the .270.
My old man first let me shoot his Stevens Model 311A side by side when I was 9 years old (BTW I'm 51 now), I still have the gun, but if I go and shoot a 100 rounds at clay pigeons, it leaves my shoulder a little sore. But look into .20 gauges if you are worried about recoil!

I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine.
-Ayn Rand

Old 05-30-2010, 04:24 AM   #10

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The Mossberg 835 is great for turkey and depending on the choke skeet and other fun things. But you do not have the capacity that some like for HD stuff. 3-5 rounds are all your getting in there depending if the plug is on or not. At least without a mag extension.

You'll have a hell of a time filling all your needs with one shot gun though. Especially at the money your looking to put down. Any wilol more than likely need another barrel for slugs and basrrel length can be a big factor in HD situations as well as sporting things like skeet.

The upshot is Remington 870, 870 Express, And the Mossberg 835 come in pretty reasonable. But to get it doing what most want to do with more than one weapon is going to jack cost a bit. I used to see the Mossberg 500's (another great shot gun) that had both barrels but you don't see them as much these days it seems.