Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need input -- Stevens 94 M worth $80?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need input -- Stevens 94 M worth $80?

I have a chance to get a Stevens 94 M in very good condition for $80. Good condition stock, bluing remaining, overall I'd probably rate this at 80 percent.
Thought?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2010, 05:22 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

That is about what a gun like that would bring around here. Not much collector value but if it is in decent shape it would make a good shooter.
What gauge and choke is it?

Old 08-20-2010, 05:42 PM   #3

Liked 83 Times on 64 Posts

current blue book of gun values

MODEL 94 Add to Collection
- 12, 16, 20, 28 ga., or .410 bore, single shot breakopen, hammer, 6 1/4 lbs. Mfg. 1929-disc.
Grading 100% 98% 95% 90% 80% 70% 60%
$90 $80 $75 $60 $50 $45 $40
Last MSR was $92.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Old 08-20-2010, 05:50 PM   #4

Default 12/full

It's a twelve gauge full choke. The condition is really excellent. The stock appears to be walnut with checkering, it still has the original bluing on the receiver, nice clean barrel with no dings, very clean on the inside. no rust that I can see anywhere. There is a serial number so it puts it post 1968.

Seems like a nice weapon to take with on a walk in the woods in the fall -- and at $80 it doesn't matter much if something does happen to it.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:08 PM   #5

Liked 26 Times on 21 Posts

If you want her, snatch her up, she may come in handy later on down the road and she is cheap enough to do some barrel modifications if need be, especially if the world does indeed come to an end, or a SHTF situation of lawlessness ensues, or both, as many believe.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 08-20-2010, 06:28 PM   #6

Default what kinds of mods do you suggest?

I've got a red dot tasco shotgun/pistol scope which could be fitted I suppose if I wanted to add a weaver base. Not sure it would be worth the money --probably more than $80 for that.

Old 08-21-2010, 01:58 AM   #7

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Just a thought

A few years ago I picked up an old Western Field single shot 12 gauge for thirty bucks. It had a 30-inch full choke barrel in good shape but the rest of it needed help. I ended up re-bluing it and refinishing the stock. I then cut the barrel down to 24-inches (cylinder bore) and sweated on a rifle sights. Put on a grind to fit recoil pad and a neighbor gave me one hundred bucks for it as a slug gun. You might consider doing the same.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:34 AM   #8

Default OK. 3 inch chamber

Thanks. I went ahead and picked up this. It cleaned up really nice, but the only thing that confuses me it says "3 inch chamber" on the barrel -- so I assume I can use 2 3/4 shells in this.

Old 08-21-2010, 12:10 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

No problem with 2¾ inch shells. I have several guns with 3-inch chambers but never use 3-inch shells. Most of the people I know stick with the 2¾ loads. Good luck with your new find; it will serve you well.

Old 08-23-2010, 01:19 PM   #10

Default Thanks/works/extractor somewhat funky

I tried it out this weekend. Seemed to work fine. The extractor stuck after the second round leaving the expended shell in the barrel, but, later, it popped right out -- ejecting about 4 feet. So the mechanism works well.

I found that I have to really apply pressure to the lever to the right when I break it open to make the extractor work correctly -- which seems to indicate that there's still some dirt and grime in the mechanism I need to get to. Or it was just a funky shell. It was wet and raining at the time so perhaps that was also factor. Two shells is hardly a proper test. I will clean it again and try with a proper number of rounds.