Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need Help w/"97 Winchester

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2010, 11:46 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help w/"97 Winchester

I'm new to this site and I hope these aren't considered "dumb" questions. Here goes........I have a "97 Trench gun serial #680xxx. The gun does NOT have a visable flaming bomb stamp on the receiver. It does have a US on the receiver. It also has USMC stamping next to the serial number (along with an "E"). There is also a EGA stamp on the buttstock. My question to all of you experts is: Did all '97's have the flaming bomb stamp? (thought I read somewhere not all did ?????) If so, what in the heck do I have?

Thanks in advance

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-19-2010, 02:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

All should have the flaming bomb (symbol for ordnance) and the US stamping- but crap happens, ya know? Link for serial number range- check your against the list.Model 1897 Serial Numbers and Date produced

Note of caution- if you already know this, please pardon the lecture- 97s DO NOT HAVE A TRIGGER DISCONNECTOR. If you fire it, and while still holding the trigger down, you pump the action- IT WILL FIRE AGAIN. (Which will get you talked about by people nearby)

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-19-2010, 03:04 AM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Im surprised C3 didnt say anything. Please stop by the introductions and tell us a bit about yourself. Thanks.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-19-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Excuse me- Where ARE my manners? Welcome to the forum- bunch of really nice folks, 2 weirdos, and 3 grumpy old farts. Please do stop over by intros, and say howdy to the nice folks. Traveling right now, but will dig thru some of my refrences when I get home again.

BTW- Have you ever heard the expression?

Name:  useless without pictures.jpg
Views: 224
Size:  43.6 KB

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 07-19-2010, 06:17 PM   #5

Thanks for the welcome. Thought I would include some photos.

the second picture shows a slight US on the receiver.

The gun at some point was parkerized as well....

Thanks again in advance.

Old 07-19-2010, 08:06 PM   #6

I believe that the stamped letters U.S.M.C. are not a factory stamp, due to the spacing is wrong and the drop "C". Was probably done after it left the factory by a previous owner at some time. Also the model depicts "1897" not M97 which was the military model. I could be wrong, hope that I am. You need someone to look at it that is very familiar with vintage Winchester firearms.

Old 07-19-2010, 09:20 PM   #7

That is some great info (didn't know about the 1897-M97). Kind of strange that someone would have gone to great lengths to piece this gun together. Well, let me backtrack (I know folks deceive and fake almost anything to make a buck), I bought the shotgun from a dealer for about $350. So its not like they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I agree with the imperfect USMC stamping. Also what would the number "27" indicate? There's one more picture that I would like everyone to see. Not that it means anything, I thought it looked pretty neat. (on the buttstock).

Again I appreciate any information all of you have and will be giving.

Last edited by fstop61; 07-19-2010 at 09:21 PM. Reason: grammar

Old 07-19-2010, 10:57 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstop61 View Post
That is some great info (didn't know about the 1897-M97). Kind of strange that someone would have gone to great lengths to piece this gun together. Well, let me backtrack (I know folks deceive and fake almost anything to make a buck), I bought the shotgun from a dealer for about $350. So its not like they were trying to pull the wool over my eyes. I agree with the imperfect USMC stamping. Also what would the number "27" indicate? There's one more picture that I would like everyone to see. Not that it means anything, I thought it looked pretty neat. (on the buttstock).

Again I appreciate any information all of you have and will be giving.
I am no expert, but that appears to be the USMC Seal on the buttstock.

Old 07-19-2010, 11:55 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTsouthpaw View Post
I am no expert, but that appears to be the USMC Seal on the buttstock.
Yes it's the Marine EGA (as mentioned in my first post.) Thanks

Old 07-20-2010, 12:10 AM   #10

fstop61,

Yes neat indeed-
I'm only speculating, the U.S. Marines insignia is homemade since it's only an outline. There's no detail in the artwork. Does it look to be done by a Wood Burner Iron? I ask because dads bought these wood burner kits for their sons in the fifties, sixties, etc., I had a couple when I was a kid.

I'm sure the "E" stands for what gauge the gun is chambered in.
It's a 12 gauge...right?
The "27" could be the number count off the production line, 27th made of that particular year/run. How long is the barrel?