Need help! Streamlight TLR-1 HP and my mossberg 500
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need help! Streamlight TLR-1 HP and my mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Default Need help! Streamlight TLR-1 HP and my mossberg 500

So I need some help from my fellow mossberg owners. I'm looking at installing a flashlight on the end of my mossberg 500. I was going to go with the TLR-1 ($108.09) but after looking at it, I would need to buy both the remote switch ($33.72) AND the female receptor ($39.99) for it to work. I then saw that the TLR-1 HP had an option to order it WITH the female receptor already on the back for $159.99. That's only $10 more than the regular TLR-1 with the remote switch female end combined.

Here is the real question.

This is the mount I was looking to grab: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002LEZHFQ?m=A18GR55YAPTHW0&qid=1329662123&sr=1-2

The TLR-1 HP has a larger face than the regular TLR-1, so much so that the widest part of the light is the lens. If I attempt to mount the light on the screw on tri-rail, will it fit or will the lens diameter hit the barrel and prevent the light from fully mounting on the rail? The HP is quite a bit more powerful, so I really like that light. And it's only $10 more.

Does anyone have experience with this enough to fill me in? Are there any other picatinny mounts out there that may help this work? I'll be sporting an 18.5" HD barrel and the stock tube, so I expect to have a few inches overhang from the barrel over the tube and would like my light to mount somewhere in there.

Thanks for any information!

Todd

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-19-2012, 01:45 PM   #2

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Oh, and I'll swing by the introduction thread in a bit and say hi there. Forgot this was my first post here, I have been stalking this forum from the iPhone app for so long it doesn't feel like I'm new :P

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." -Benjamin Franklin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 02-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #3

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

There are many ways to mount a light on a gun and there really isn't no wrong way. Just make sure your light can handle the recoil of a shotgun. And keep in mind that where it's positioned on your gun will cause shadows. That isn't so much a bad thing. Just once it's on get used to where the light gets thrown.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 02-21-2012, 08:37 AM   #4

Liked 9 Times on 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckethead47 View Post
There are many ways to mount a light on a gun and there really isn't no wrong way. Just make sure your light can handle the recoil of a shotgun. And keep in mind that where it's positioned on your gun will cause shadows. That isn't so much a bad thing. Just once it's on get used to where the light gets thrown.
I appreciate the feedback, my question was aimed more at the design of the TLR-1 HP. The flare at the lens is huge, and i wasnt sure it would fit on a normal rail mounted even semi-close to the barrel. Problem averted, I went with the trusted TLR-1.

Old 05-06-2012, 01:49 AM   #5

I work at a tactical supply shop and can tell you that the hp head on the tlr1s hp doesn't contact the barrel of the weapon. We sell the tlr1s hp for $149.95with the remote switch included. It puts out 200 lumens as opposed to the 160 of the regular tlr1s.