need help restoring my grandpa Mossberg 500 - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > need help restoring my grandpa Mossberg 500

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Choke tubes, for the most part, have only been around since the 80s. Mossberg has been around well before that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by loctite44144 View Post
Sorry sir I didn't understand
I think he may have been responding to my post about my 500 being so old that the barrels were made to be one "choke" (modified, cylinder bore, full, etc.). Your barrel appears to be a slug barrel in cylinder bore since it has rifle-type sights and is marked "cylinder bore". The scope mount also makes me think this may have been used as a deer-hunting gun in an area that doesn't allow rifles for deer or in an area with such thick brush as to make a shotgun slug a preferred deer projectile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Choke_(firearms) Wiki's choke info.

That is a nice-looking Mossy. It doesn't look like it needs much restoration. Have you fed any shells through it (pumped, not fired)?

The coolest thing about the Mossy's to me is the ease of barrel change; twist off that big cap on the end of the magazine tube and the barrel can be removed from the rest of the receiver with a gentle twist. You could get another barrel for bird hunting, modified choke or a shorter barrel for home defensive use.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-05-2013 at 05:25 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-05-2013, 08:46 PM   #12

Liked 17 Times on 15 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
personally, if it were mine and had belonged to my grandfather, i would never restore it. that's just a personal opinion.

i would shoot it and enjoy it's memories just the way it is.
The reason why I want to restore it is the way it looks now is not how I remember it my grandfather you should take me out shooting 1 of my uncles head is rifle for a while and I thought it disappeared

Old 01-06-2013, 08:48 AM   #13
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8141

Quote:
The reason why I want to restore it is the way it looks now is not how I remember it my grandfather you should take me out shooting 1 of my uncles head is rifle for a while and I thought it disappeared
Just some food for thought. It is your shotgun, and therefore, yours to do with as you please. That being said, I have to agree with Axxe. My grandfather bought an 870 wingmaster back in the 60s. While at the Western Autp in Westfield NY, he spotted a small scratch in the left side of the stock. He talked the salesman down by $65 due to a scratch about as long as the nail on my pinky finger. It is now with one of my uncles, who brings it to deer camp every year. That same scratch is still in the stock. He had it partially refinished in 1998, but he told the smith to leave that one alone.I always enjoy seiing that gun at camp, and it is an honor to have it still in the woods, carried by a member of the Fox family, still keeping the family fed.

Before you refinish your grandad's old Mossberg, find out if there is a family story on any of it's "character marks" that would make it worth keeping around. Some of these flaws on my guns have a name to go with them, or a memory associated with them. This could be true of some of the ones on your grandad's gun.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Old 01-09-2013, 07:00 AM   #14

Found out a little more about my 500 I talked to the Mossberg historical Association they told me that my gun what is made in the fall of 76 which is cool that is year I was born it was sold through true value hardware

Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1587 Times on 1084 Posts
Likes Given: 548

The stock can be restored with Old English scratch remover. Use Old English much like linseed oil. Give it a coat every week or so until the desired results are achieved. My guns get beat up every hunting season. Judicious use of Old English scratch remover has preserved the stocks to like new condition.

In fact, the stock looks better than new. You can see the character of the wood grain much better than when the guns were new.

There has always been a way to repair scratches on the metal parts. Over the years I have tried them all. The blend has left the metal in good condition.

I acquired this Mossberg 500 in the early 1990's. It is around 20 years old. I don't know the exact date I acquired the gun. They say the proof is in the pudding.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 01-09-2013 at 08:35 AM.

Old 01-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Restoring, I don`t understand, looks to me like it needs a good cleaning, some TLC & one of these.........http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Products/246690A.htm

When all else fails.

Old 01-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #17

I have thinking about taking all of the original parts off and putting them a way and going with a 18.5 barrel and a black sliding stock and fore arm and maybe a new mag tube

Old 01-09-2013, 06:19 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
I have thinking about taking all of the original parts off and putting them a way and going with a 18.5 barrel and a black sliding stock and fore arm and maybe a new mag tube
That's similar to what i did to my old Mossy, but i bought mine in a Pawn n Gun store in college, VERY used. I'm not sure i would have done the same to a handed-down family gun. Of course, you would basically end up using the original receiver and internals only. I did go with a pistol grip equipped full stock, though; 12 guage is a handful with just a pistol grip.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-09-2013, 06:54 PM   #19

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello

That's similar to what i did to my old Mossy, but i bought mine in a Pawn n Gun store in college, VERY used. I'm not sure i would have done the same to a handed-down family gun. Of course, you would basically end up using the original receiver and internals only. I did go with a pistol grip equipped full stock, though; 12 guage is a handful with just a pistol grip.
Pistol grips on shotguns are a handful, , I found putting a pistol fore grip distributes recoil pretty well between hands, so much that my 10 yr old son can shoot my 12g with no problems.
forumrunner_20130109_145200.jpg  

Old 01-09-2013, 07:04 PM   #20

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by loctite44144
Its yours and of course you can do with it what you want,, but,, being a gun with sentimental value above all else, I would think about this, if you want a sawed off with synthetic stocks, foregrip, mag ext....... sounds like you want a different gun all together. Maybe clean that one up,, shoot it while you get the money for the modern style shotty you want,, hell if you wanted something to strip and customize just do like orange and buy a cheap pawnshop gun and pick and pull using the receiver. I just remember getting rid,selling, or messing up a lot of things I wish I owned today still.