Need help with old shotgun

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need help with old shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-16-2010, 10:50 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need help with old shotgun

Hello!

My grandfather recently gave me his J.C. Higgins model 20 12 gauge, and I have a few questions. I am extremely inexperienced with guns. I am learning on .22's under proper instruction, but I feel the need to interact with the guns I already have in order to increase my familiarity.

My question is, how well do I need to clean this shotgun? It was manufactured in the early sixties, and my grandfather used it frequently (and maintained it properly) up until around ~1990. This gun has not been fired in at least 20 years. Cycling it feels smooth, and I don't notice any significant patches of rust or grime. How would you proceed? What level of cleaning/deconstruction does this gun need? My buddy who is in the military and has been around guns his entire life is coming down on Sunday to help me clean it and the revolvers. Anything specific I need to know based on its appearance? Thanks in advance.

Photo album: Shotgun - Imgur

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-17-2010, 05:03 AM   #2

Won't be much of a job if it was as you say kept clean in the past.
Look her over and shoot it.

Old 12-17-2010, 02:20 PM   #3
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2372 Times on 1281 Posts
Likes Given: 680

i have a model 20 and it was built for Sears by High Standard. It is a very slick gun to operate with its single action bar. You will probably have to replace the recoil pad. If it was well maintained, you should have no problems. You should clean it and re-oil it. I dont shoot any 2 3/4" mag loads in mine. There are plenty of good standard 2 3/4" loads out there.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 12-17-2010 at 02:42 PM.

Old 12-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #4

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

You have one of the best pump guns ever made. I have two right now and am always looking for more. Ha.

They are fast, well made, all forged steel.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-19-2010, 03:14 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1492

As the man said, High Standard Flite King. Good shotguns. To clean, CLEAR the shotgun. Schematic for you-http://www.gunpartscorp.com/catalog/Products.aspx?catid=8501

You can use a mop/brush solvent on the barrel. Removing #72 (looks like a screw) will allow you to remove trigger group. DO NOT TAKE THAT APART UNLESS YOU HAVE LARGE ASSORTMENT OF PROFANITY. Use spray gunscrubber to flush out dirt, let dry, oil lightly, replace.

The pumps require minimal maintenance. Wipe outside down with a lightly oiled rag, drop of oil on action bar.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.