Need Help Identifying This Shotgun!!!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need Help Identifying This Shotgun!!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-19-2008, 02:53 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Need Help Identifying This Shotgun!!!

Winchester Marine 12 gauge... anybody know the production date or any information about this gun? I bought this gun used earlier this year for about $270 in "good working/ cosmetic" condition. It is fully operational and very well cleaned and kept. I have taken it skeet shooting at least 5-7 times and shot 100-120 rounds each time (mosty 7 1/2 and 8 shot... a few slugs... maybe 15 at most; just to try it). it has proven fun and reliable to me so far. I have looked around alot on the internet and have not seen more than a couple like this. I just wanted some input on it. I really like it and think it is a nice shotgun. If it is old and "rare" I would prefure to buy an newer shotgun for skeet and keep this one stored. I would appreciate any type of feedback.

shtgn2.jpg  

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-19-2008, 03:08 AM   #2

Are there no markings or writing on gun? By the way it's fraking sweet looking..

-Peter

"The will of the people is the only legitimate foundation of any government, and to protect its free expression should be our first object."
-Thomas Jefferson

NRA Member

Old 08-19-2008, 10:18 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

it is NOT old, but is more rare than the average winchester defender. I used to want a 1300 back in the 1990's, but never bought one. They came in that honey wood furniture and blued metal, synthetic furniture and blued metal, or the chromed marine version (but I thought the marine also had synthetic furniture).

I would guess this was a 1990's model, but it is purely a guess. Serial numbers could be used to identify a year of manufacture. Either way, the winchester defender 1300 is a solid little shotgun. And you got a screaming deal on your marine version. They were always more expensive than the regular version...

Old 08-19-2008, 01:52 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2951 Times on 1537 Posts
Likes Given: 263

$270 is a sweet deal! I prefer Winchester over Remington shotguns. The Winchesters are equipped with MUCH stronger barrels and stronger lock up.
The marine versions I have seen had synthetic furniture. Yours is likely an early model (pre-synthetic). Is it a 1200 or a 1300? My guess would be 1200. Aside from the obvious markings, the 1300 will have a screw that retains the ejector. Look in the open ejection port. The flat strap of steel on the opposite side is the ejector. The screw on the 1300 is on the front (barrel) end.

One tip if it is a 1200 model. The ejector is prone to breakage if you try to force the barrel on. When reinstalling the barrel, close the action, slide the barrel on til it is blocked by the bolt. Hold the shotgun upright and depress the slide release (behind and to the left of the trigger) and allow the barrel to drop into position. It is relatively easy to get the ejector jammed between the barrel and receiver and bend it. It is spring steel (hardened) and will not bend back w/o breaking.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:26 PM   #5

Thanks for the input. I will strip it down and post pictures of the action and more of the gun. I am pretty sure the ejector is not held in by a scew; but a spring.... also the only markings on the gun are the serial number, brand (winchester), model (marine 12 ga.), and were it was manufactured (new haven, CT).