Need help with ID
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need help with ID

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-29-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Default Need help with ID

This is gonna be a challenge to anyone I think.. I recently purchased this double at my local gun store. the lable read: Made around/before 1899. European manufactureer for the US market.

Plenty of proof marks but no manufacturer info... Only verbage I saw was n the rib betwen the barrels that reads: FINE STEEL other than that it's a complete mystery. The hammers are mismatched but teh gun locks up tight. The wood is amazing and that is why I bought it. Paid $300 for it tax, title, ou the door. Not sure of the guage yet but appears to be 12ga.

c3shooter? GL with this one lol

102_0839.jpg   102_0840.jpg   102_0844.jpg   102_0854.jpg  

NRA Life Member, Georgia Gun Owners
www.RCGunworksllc.com

" Guns have only two enemies: RUST & POLITICIANS"

"Free men do not ask permission to bear arms"

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-29-2010, 05:36 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

A few more pics Hard to make out but the second pic shows a proof mark which reads: E over DG in the circle

102_0857.jpg   102_0859.jpg  

www.RCGunworksllc.com

The U.S. Constitution: The 2nd Amendment is in place in case the Politicians ignore the others"

Old 08-29-2010, 06:17 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

On page 567 of the 1897 Sears Roebuck catalog under our line of imported double shot guns there is one that looks a lot like yours. They call it a $10.00 dollar gun for $6.68. I am not saying that it is your gun but figure that it might a good place for you to start. These reprint catalogs have helped me identify quite a few old guns.

Last edited by Walley; 08-29-2010 at 06:25 PM.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:34 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walley View Post
On page 567 of the 1897 Sears Roebuck catalog under our line of imported double shot guns there is one that looks a lot like yours. They call it a $10.00 dollar gun for $6.68. I am not saying that it is your gun but figure that it might a good place for you to start. These reprint catalogs have helped me identify quite a few old guns.
Great, thank you.. How or where do you get the reprint catalog?

www.RCGunworksllc.com

Old 08-29-2010, 07:03 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

Any decent bookstore should be able to order one for you if they are still in print. They were produced by Chelsea House Publishers of New Your in the sixties and might be a little hard to find. Used bookstores are a good place to find them; that is where I got all of mine. Good luck and I will do a little more research for you.

Old 08-29-2010, 07:33 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default /

As close as I can come I believe that yours is a leFaucheux shotgun made sometime between 1850 and 1900 in Paris. Go to Help me identify this gun - Hunt Chat
and compare that gun to yours. Also Goggle the LeFaucheux shotguns for more information.

Old 08-30-2010, 12:07 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8859 Times on 3837 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

ELG in the oval is the proofmark for the Liege Belgium proofhouse. It was common for makers to buy proofed barrels in the white, and make them into a gun. The forward lever locking system is definitely LeFaucheux system- used under license by several makers, including Bernards (makers mark FD) and Bouzier Fils (makers mark BF)

Very nice shotgun- really nice wood.

link for ya: Google Image Result for http://thumb15.shutterstock.com.edgesuite.net/display_pic_with_logo/98152/98152,1206487602,8/stock-photo-hunting-double-barrelled-gun-lefaucheux-system-lefaucheux-is-paris-gunmaker-of-century-10753780.jpg

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-30-2010, 09:27 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thank you SO much guys. Y'all never ceases to amaze me. Walley, after following your link I certainly have to agree that this shotgun is a LeFaucheux. I am going to try and take some better pictures of the proof marks to post for you all.

www.RCGunworksllc.com

Old 08-31-2010, 05:44 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

No new pictures yet but another question: Where can I find replacement Hammers for this piece? One appears to be original (left side) wile the right side is a repacement non-matching. I looked in Numrichs at the Crescent shotgun hammers which I would think would be close but they're sold out. Another option is to heat up and reshape the right to match the left.

102_0846.jpg  

www.RCGunworksllc.com

Old 12-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #10

First it is belgium, at least it has belgium marks of proof. Second, the niples for the percussion caps are filled with metal so it's not going to fire without new niples, I would concern about the niples more than about the hammers if I was you