Need to get really good at trap.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Need to get really good at trap.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-08-2012, 03:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Default Need to get really good at trap.

I have been shooting table trap and casual trap, skeet and 5 stand for 6 years now. I recently joined a club with a trap team and I need to up my game. Any advice on practice, method or gear that may help me take my game to the next level?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-08-2012, 03:13 PM   #2

Likes Given: 13

Find your form and stick with it, practice practice practice. its not only physical but mental as well, if you start missing and get frustrated its going to cause more dropped birds. if you get bored with 5 stand trap and skeet try sporting clays if they have a course or look for one nearby. usually consisting of 50 or 100 clays set up throught a course our local course is roughly 2 miles or more long and changes monthly

Old 09-08-2012, 09:21 PM   #3

Liked 14 Times on 7 Posts

Funny you should mention form. I always have shot with what I call an aggressive stance. Weight forward, gun up, head low. Much as I would shoot a rifle. I was told recently that I will never be consistent that way and that I should pivot more off my back leg. Any truth to this?

Old 09-08-2012, 10:54 PM   #4

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

Trap is a mental endurance game. To me it is a lot easier than skeet or sporting, BUT I can't keep my concentration over the long haul necessary to excel at trap.
I don't think their is any one form for all shooters. I have seen an awful lot of very good shooters with a form like you say you have. I have seen Tom Knapp shoot WILD ducks behind his back. He says any shooting with a shotgun is doing it enough that your brain remembers the right sight picture - even behind your back.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:46 AM   #5

Liked 134 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 43

An overbored barrel will up your score. Quality ammo and good form will help more than anything. It sounds like you are already doing everything right. You just need to give it time to work. Instinctive shooters benefit most from an aggressive stance.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:10 AM   #6

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 81

what kind of scores are you shooting now? 15 20 23? you need a gun with at least a 26 inch barrel choked mod or tighter . for it to shoot a bit high is a plus (check it on a pattern board) 1 or 1 1/8 oz loads (if shooting 12 )of 7.5 shot. eye and ear protection and practice forget the fiber optic sights and all that crap simplifey and have fun

Old 09-09-2012, 03:14 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
Trap is a mental endurance game. To me it is a lot easier than skeet or sporting, BUT I can't keep my concentration over the long haul necessary to excel at trap.
I don't think their is any one form for all shooters. I have seen an awful lot of very good shooters with a form like you say you have. I have seen Tom Knapp shoot WILD ducks behind his back. He says any shooting with a shotgun is doing it enough that your brain remembers the right sight picture - even behind your back.
funny how them wild ducks appear at the right time

Old 09-13-2012, 12:06 PM   #8

Liked 157 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 119

You didn't mention if you're shooting a trap gun. There is a world of difference between them and a field gun.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:28 AM   #9

Liked 142 Times on 109 Posts

Quote:
funny how them wild ducks appear at the right time
It's called decoying. And it was the real deal. I have also seen him shoot skeet behind his back - in person. If that was what we did for a living we might be able to do it too. Might.

What could have happened... did.

Old 09-15-2012, 12:55 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by billt View Post
You didn't mention if you're shooting a trap gun. There is a world of difference between them and a field gun.
to start you should be able to become a respectable shooter with inexpensive pump or crack gun for trap with the right barrel and choke when you start 23+ consistantly start looking for the right gun.then when you get tired of trap go try sporting clays and be humbled