N.R. Davis Side by Side and H&R Model 348

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > N.R. Davis Side by Side and H&R Model 348

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2010, 08:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default N.R. Davis Side by Side and H&R Model 348

Greetings, all. I am new here and just wanted to pose a question to anyone who is willing to offer his or her opinion(s)!
I recently received an N.R. Davis & Sons side-by-side and a Harrington & Richardson Model 348 (bolt-action 12 ga.! Cool!) that belonged to my grandfather/great grandfather. Each have simply sat in a safe for the better part of 50 years (or longer). Neither is in the best shape visually (though mechanically they seem pretty sound), so I intend to at least clean them up, though I may never shoot them (or should I?!).
My (second) question is, should I bother to re-finish the stocks and/or re-blue the barrels to pretty them up a little, or should I just leave them in the condition they have come to be in over the years?
It seems neither is terribly valuable monetarily (though they hold a lot of sentimental value for me), so I'm just looking for some opinions from all you experts out there!
Thanks a million in advance. I'll try to put some pics on here if anyone is interested.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2010, 08:36 PM   #2

Liked 99 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 108

Since they have stayed is the family so long i dont see no harm in cleaning them up and refinishing them and passing them to your kids later on down the road to keep them in the family. If they are mechanically sound i dont see a problem with shooting them and enjoying your family history.

Old 05-23-2010, 06:01 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathkricket View Post
Since they have stayed is the family so long i dont see no harm in cleaning them up and refinishing them and passing them to your kids later on down the road to keep them in the family. If they are mechanically sound i dont see a problem with shooting them and enjoying your family history.
+1 on that^^
I'm interested in pics.

Tags
davis & sons, h&r, model 348