My next shotgun? - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My next shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missileman View Post
Not to be argumentative, but you do NOT have to adjust your point of aim right or left with a side by side, any more than you have to adjust your aim up or down for an over/under. Remember, the rib/bead on a side by side is about 1/2 inch from the center of either bore, in an over-under the bead is about 1 and a half inches above the lower barrel. Plus, most good side by sides are slightly offset to aim dead on at effective ranges.
Granted they're scatter guns...
But, that has been my experience with SxS shotguns. They pattern better if you aim a little to the left or a little to the right depending on which barrel you're using. I'm not doubting your experiences, I'm only stating mine. Maybe if the OP wants a SxS he'll have to do his homework in order to get a "good" one. Since they seem to vary.

On the other hand, the O/U's I've shot don't need much aim adjustment. When using the upper barrel; I put the bead sight just below the target. When using the lower barrel; I put the bead sight dead-on the target.
Not much aim adjustment at all.
I've shot O/U's with one bead sight, dual bead sight...Savage Arms' Goldwing, Mossbergs made in Turkey, Remingtons, Browning's Belgium made, and just recently Ruger's Red Label. I've noticed that O/U's seem to take the same minimal aim adjustment compared to the SxS shotguns. And if you notice I've tried O/U's from one side of the spectrum to the other.

Quote:
Another side by side advantage is that when broken open, they only have to come open about 30% or so--an over-under needs to break open much farther to eject the bottom barrel--makes them easier to open in a blind and easier to carry open--at least in my experiences.
Good Point/Observation

Old 02-08-2010, 07:08 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Granted they're scatter guns...
But, that has been my experience with SxS shotguns. They pattern better if you aim a little to the left or a little to the right depending on which barrel you're using. I'm not doubting your experiences, I'm only stating mine. Maybe if the OP wants a SxS he'll have to do his homework in order to get a "good" one. Since they seem to vary.

On the other hand, the O/U's I've shot don't need much aim adjustment. When using the upper barrel; I put the bead sight just below the target. When using the lower barrel; I put the bead sight dead-on the target.
Not much aim adjustment at all.
I've shot O/U's with one bead sight, dual bead sight...Savage Arms' Goldwing, Mossbergs made in Turkey, Remingtons, Browning's Belgium made, and just recently Ruger's Red Label. I've noticed that O/U's seem to take the same minimal aim adjustment compared to the SxS shotguns. And if you notice I've tried O/U's from one side of the spectrum to the other.

Good Point/Observation

This is one of those issues that I lay awake at night trying to figure out if I'm right or way off base somehow. Theoredically (at least in my mind) if the rib is about a half inch from the center of the bore, and it runs paralell to the bore, then no matter how far away you get from the end of the barrel that should never change. So if you have a 30 inch pattern, the aim point should be exactly one half inch from the center of that pattern--so you should never have to compensate one way or the other. Perhaps because in a side by side the bores are slightly off center of the axis of the gun, when fired the gun torques a little right or left depending on the barrel and shooter, and that's why it patterns to one side or the other? Or maybe my theory is all wet, which has happened many times before...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-08-2010, 08:06 PM   #23

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default O/u s by s

The best gun is the one that suits YOU best. The change from S by S to O/U for me was the speed on aquiring a target with a raised rib. Used S by S for 35 years and never felt I had to compensate one way or the other. I do not beleive any gunmaker worth their salt would produce a gun that did not shoot true.

Old 02-09-2010, 01:59 AM   #24

Quote:
This is one of those issues that I lay awake at night trying to figure out if I'm right or way off base somehow.
No need to lose sleep over this. You make me feel terrible.
Quote:
Theoredically (at least in my mind) if the rib is about a half inch from the center of the bore, and it runs paralell to the bore, then no matter how far away you get from the end of the barrel that should never change. So if you have a 30 inch pattern, the aim point should be exactly one half inch from the center of that pattern--so you should never have to compensate one way or the other. Perhaps because in a side by side the bores are slightly off center of the axis of the gun, when fired the gun torques a little right or left depending on the barrel and shooter, and that's why it patterns to one side or the other? Or maybe my theory is all wet, which has happened many times before...
I believe you hit the nail on the head. A SxS shotgun gives the shooter a feeling that the recoil is left than right or vice versa depending on the sequence of barrels being fired. Obviously you are more familiar with SxS shotguns than me. My above post (the one you quoted) I'm not saying that you won't hit your target aiming dead-on, I've noticed with a target 30yrds. away when using a SxS shotgun if I aim a little to the left or right when using the appropriate barrel the shot pattern is tighter & more consistent on the target. The SxS shotguns that I have shot are: Savage, Stevens, SKB and Winchester 23.
It all depends on what the shooter is more familiar with. Seems like you would perform better with a SxS shotgun than I would. I do better with an O/U because the sighting plane is similar to a pump or semi-auto and that's what I'm most familiar with.
Now, an O/U does give a more lateral pointing index. SxS the sighting plane is between the barrels which confuses the eye into seeing a larger plane. When shooting clays this difference is quite noticeable. The target seems to get lost with the wider muzzle. This hasn't only been my experience but others also. This may be the reason for the lack of SxS shotguns winners in most major shooting competitions.
Missileman your intelligence is a breath of fresh air.
You taught me a thing or two about SxS shotguns. Thank-you

Old 02-09-2010, 01:20 PM   #25

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
No need to lose sleep over this. You make me feel terrible.
I believe you hit the nail on the head. A SxS shotgun gives the shooter a feeling that the recoil is left than right or vice versa depending on the sequence of barrels being fired. Obviously you are more familiar with SxS shotguns than me. My above post (the one you quoted) I'm not saying that you won't hit your target aiming dead-on, I've noticed with a target 30yrds. away when using a SxS shotgun if I aim a little to the left or right when using the appropriate barrel the shot pattern is tighter & more consistent on the target. The SxS shotguns that I have shot are: Savage, Stevens, SKB and Winchester 23.
It all depends on what the shooter is more familiar with. Seems like you would perform better with a SxS shotgun than I would. I do better with an O/U because the sighting plane is similar to a pump or semi-auto and that's what I'm most familiar with.
Now, an O/U does give a more lateral pointing index. SxS the sighting plane is between the barrels which confuses the eye into seeing a larger plane. When shooting clays this difference is quite noticeable. The target seems to get lost with the wider muzzle. This hasn't only been my experience but others also. This may be the reason for the lack of SxS shotguns winners in most major shooting competitions.
Missileman your intelligence is a breath of fresh air.
You taught me a thing or two about SxS shotguns. Thank-you
A lot of people would disagree with that, but thanks. You are dead right about the sighting plane with the SxS--I actually feel the same way, and if I was in serious competition I'd definately choose the OU. The one SxS that I find that sights the best (at least ones that are affordable) is the SKB 385 Sporting, or the 485--both of them have raised ventilated ribs between the barrels--the sighting plane is very close to what you see with an OU or single barrel. Unfortunately they no longer are making etiher one. I do enjoy shooting skeet or sporting with my SxS--only because no one else does, and it gives me an excuse for not shooting very well! Every once in a great while I'll beat a young guy shooting a $5000 OU with my SxS--the look on their face is hard to beat...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"