Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My next shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-03-2010, 12:23 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Humm... have not considered the Wetherby. I checked out their site and it seems like a well made gun.

Old 02-03-2010, 01:13 AM   #12

Be careful with Weatherby shotguns. I've seen 2 of them with cracks from the choke tubes running about 2 to 3in. up the barrel toward the receiver. apparently for awhile, they reduced the wall thickness of the barrels too much. This was probably 3to 4 yrs ago. They may have remedied the problem by now though.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:04 AM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
have you seen or shot the new Remington 887 Nitro Mag? If you like to hunt and you want a dependable rugged gun, check one out.
but, I do understand the desire to have a bunch of different kinds of guns.
In my experience with side by sides vs O/U. The side by sides seem a lot heavier. I couldnt imagine lugging my side by side around all day, its very heavy. My buddy has a Wetherby O/U and it is SAWEEEEEET.......accurate, looks great and lighter than the side by side.

This is a nice gun. Going after work today to pick one up actually. Cant wait to shoot it.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 02-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #14

Let me know how you like it. How easy/difficult are the Remington 887's to clean?

Old 02-03-2010, 07:37 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
Let me know how you like it. How easy/difficult are the Remington 887's to clean?
i seen a youtube video of the guy explaining how easy it was to take apart. it looks real easy.

"There's not too many things, a man can't fix, with a couple hundred rounds, and his 30-06."

Old 02-04-2010, 02:06 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
The trajectory of a side by side in my limited experience with them is always a little left or a little right...
Good point...side by side shotguns you have to adjust your aim a little to the left then a little to the right.
Over/Under's not that much aim adjustment is needed.

A Ruger Red Label was mentioned...one of these are at the top of my shotgun list, especially since I'm interested in getting a O/U for my next shotgun. From what I've seen in O/U's the Ruger has the best bang for the buck.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:39 PM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
Good point...side by side shotguns you have to adjust your aim a little to the left then a little to the right.
Over/Under's not that much aim adjustment is needed.

A Ruger Red Label was mentioned...one of these are at the top of my shotgun list, especially since I'm interested in getting a O/U for my next shotgun. From what I've seen in O/U's the Ruger has the best bang for the buck.
Not to be argumentative, but you do NOT have to adjust your point of aim right or left with a side by side, any more than you have to adjust your aim up or down for an over/under. Remember, the rib/bead on a side by side is about 1/2 inch from the center of either bore, in an over-under the bead is about 1 and a half inches above the lower barrel. Plus, most good side by sides are slightly offset to aim dead on at effective ranges.

Another side by side advantage is that when broken open, they only have to come open about 30% or so--an over-under needs to break open much farther to eject the bottom barrel--makes them easier to open in a blind and easier to carry open--at least in my experiences. Obviously I love side by sides, especially for hunting...

"Adversity does not make a man--it reveals him"

Old 02-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #18

Well after checking out a few guns I really like the Benelli Montefeltro in 20g. What a sweet semi-auto that is! Has anyone shot one? Feedback?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:52 AM   #19

I've never shot one but I must say it's a beautiful gun. I have shot a Benelli Super Sport and I liked it although it was a little too light for my taste. It tended to swing too fast and was hard to keep on target. I haven't personally shot one but if you are looking for an autoloader, I have heard nothing but good things about the Winchester SX3. I know a guy who has it in his duck blind and simply loves it. I know another guy who shoots trap and duck hunts with his and he swears by it and I must say he's solid 24-25 on trap.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy! - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-05-2010, 01:16 AM   #20

I haven't shot the Montefeltro, but I have shot Benelli 20 ga. They struck me as a great little gun. Benellis are great guns. I've got a pair of sporting Benellis. They have been fantastic as far as reliablity goes.

"My thinker must be broken"