My next shotgun?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My next shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2010, 07:33 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default My next shotgun?

I have a Remington 870 Wingmaster I have been both hunting and shooting trap with. Love the gun and so far it has been very reliable in the field. I did have one jam, but it was most likley due to me not racking the chamber hard enough for the next round.

As I advance in my shooting and hunting abilities I have been flirting with the idea of buying another gun. Either and O/U or a side by side. I have been window shopping at Gander Mountain, Cabelas and Dick's. I have also been researching the advantages/disadvantages of O/U's and side by sides. It definatley can get confusing.

So to add to the confusion I thought I would ask your guys opinions on the O/U's vs. side by sides. This will be primarily a upland hunting gun as I am more of a hunter than a competitor. Looking at a 20 guage as I prefer lighter slim profile guns. I have my eye on a Beretta White Onyx, but truth be told I have never shot anything but a single barrel shotgun.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2010, 08:18 PM   #2

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default What Gun

Most old timers in this part of the world would recomend side by side and indeed this was my gun of choice for some thirty years however for the last five years have been shooting over unders ever since my son entered competition shooting. The benefits soon became apparent as most decent over unders will chamber 3" loads a point to consider when hunting. Most clay shooters would recomend 30" barrels or more. Recoil is a point to consider when switching from auto guns but generally a good heavy gun such as bettinsoli or winchester with a suitable recoil pat should take care of this. One point however is a 20 bore is a far less effective load than a 12 bore when hunting. Either of the 2 suggested guns travel well between clay range and all manner of hunting, have used both and would have no hesitation in recomending either. A point to remember with the bettinsoli is do not look at anything over 3 years old.
As the more modern guns are by far better quality.Let us know your your choice and happy shooting.

Davyboy

Old 01-31-2010, 08:29 PM   #3

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default What gun.

Forgot to mention the modern bettinsoli is of equal quality to beretta but approx half the price, one of my guns is a diamond plus has had 20,000 rounds through it without any fault.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:39 PM   #4

Liked 129 Times on 99 Posts

I'd go for a side by side, but you need to get what you prefer. Nothing worse than spending money for anything you don't really like or doesn't fit. I have probably run through 30 shotguns, and have never found anything I could shoot as well as a 1974 Wingmaster that I sold many years ago in a moment of stupidity.

What could have happened... did.

Old 02-01-2010, 12:03 AM   #5

I hear ya....thats why I am keeping the Wingmaster. I did consider a semi-auto as well, but I am a big fan of simplicity.....especially in a hunting weapon.

Old 02-01-2010, 01:57 AM   #6

I recently did exactly what you're doing. I had my old Ithaca Model 37 and wanted something new, simple and versatile. I settled on the Browning Cynergy Satin Composite. It's an O/U and really like it. I shoot trap with it nearly every Sunday. It will chamber 3 1/2 rounds for duck hunting which is what I really liked about. It's an extremely versatile all around gun. It even has an adjustable comb.

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy! - Benjamin Franklin

Old 02-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

It solely depends on what you are doing with the gun. If you are going to shoot competition trap only, then I would go for a nice single shot like a BT-99 or a BT-100. If you plan on shooting skeet where a follow up shot is needed then I would go for an O/U, like a Ruger Red label. If it will be a multi purpose gun then I would definitely go with a tube fed gun. If you like pumps, then look into a Benelli Nova or another 870 and maybe a Mossy 500 (they have a shorter stroke than an 870).

Me personally I shoot a lot of Sporting Clays and would never give up my semi auto. I personally shoot a Winchester 1400 but I would not recommend it. I would look into an 11-87 or if weight is an issue, look at a Beretta A391. Both are awesome guns.

As far as barrel length goes, if you are planning on nothing but comp trap or skeet where flight path is pretty predictable I would use a 30" barrel, however if it will see any field use where you have to swing the barrel with an unpredictable path then I would not use anything longer than a 28."

This is all my personal preference, I would never use a coach gun however. The trajectory of a side by side in my limited experience with them is always a little left or a little right...

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-01-2010, 09:49 PM   #8

If you want the o/u, buy yourself the o/u. I've got a Beretta and it's a very nice, reliable gun. I actually prefer my Benellis, but that's personal preference. The o/u is pretty much the standard on the clays course these days.
As far as barrel length, if it's an upland gun, stay with 28 inch barrels. They swing a little faster, and are easier to deal with in brush or corn fields.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:26 PM   #9

Thanks all for the suggestions. Just to be clear I am first and foremost a "hunter." I enjoy shooting clays, but only as practice for hunting. Thus I am looking for a hunting gun.

Old 02-01-2010, 10:54 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Remington 887 Nitro Mag

I hear ya....thats why I am keeping the Wingmaster. I did consider a semi-auto as well, but I am a big fan of simplicity.....especially in a hunting weapon.

have you seen or shot the new Remington 887 Nitro Mag? If you like to hunt and you want a dependable rugged gun, check one out.
but, I do understand the desire to have a bunch of different kinds of guns.
In my experience with side by sides vs O/U. The side by sides seem a lot heavier. I couldnt imagine lugging my side by side around all day, its very heavy. My buddy has a Wetherby O/U and it is SAWEEEEEET.......accurate, looks great and lighter than the side by side.