Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My "new" shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-25-2009, 03:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Default My "new" shotgun

I traded my Hi-Point .40 for this Remington 870!! I was talking to my wife's uncle and he said he had it and would trade it for the Hi-point and 50 bucks. The shotgun is an Express Magnum with a 26" rib vent barrel, screw-in choke (Mod) with choke tube wrench. The shotgun is 12 years old and was never assembled and is still in the original box, with the manual and instructional video. It was won in a raffle by an older gentleman who never used it and traded it to my wife's uncle for a Hi-Point 9mm about six months ago. The shotgun is in prestine condition as it's spent it's entire 12 years in the box slid under a bed or in a closet.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-25-2009, 03:35 AM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Very nice shotgun, I don't know about trading it for a pistol though, I got mine used (ten shots through it) for $125, but then again I don't know the condition of your handgun. 870's are great, very versatile. Hunting, targets, or tactical its a great all around gun. Lots of accessories available as well. 12 gauge ammo isn't at its best price ever but still pretty affordable. Make sure you break in the pump and oil it a little. Most importantly, don't be gentle with the slide at first. I've heard hunting stories where guys don't get it all the way back and they don't chamber a round. Anyway congrats on the new addition.

"I only regret I have but one life to lose for my country" Nathan Hale

Amendment 2 - Right to Bear Arms. Ratified 12/15/1791. Note

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:00 AM   #3

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Nice looking shotgun Dragonov Hope to see a range report or at least some pics of the fun at the range

Old 06-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #4
TxG

I'd take that deal any day of the week! The 870 is a classic and has so many factory-provided and after-market options, you can outfit it any way you want to. Not that it isn't a great shotgun in factory stock form...it is. The Hi-Point? Eh...a low end firearm. Works OK maybe, but it'll never be more than a bottom-rung implement for those who can't, or won't, afford better. Owners will defend them because that's what owners do. But no dealer will give you squat for one because the demand for them is low and you can buy them used for next to nothing. I know...I'm a dealer.

Last edited by TxG; 06-25-2009 at 05:06 AM.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:21 AM   #5

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxG View Post
The Hi-Point? Eh...a low end firearm. Works OK maybe, but it'll never be more than a bottom-rung implement for those who can't, or won't, afford better. Owners will defend them because that's what owners do. But no dealer will give you squat for one because the demand for them is low and you can buy them used for next to nothing. I know...I'm a dealer.
Right, I looked at selling it to the local gunstore after I bought my 1911. At the time it was only about six months old, kept very clean and I had bought an extra mag and they said they'd only give me about 50 bucks for it. I laughed, told him to go find someone else to screw and walked out. The only reason I bought it in the first place was to plink and I bought the .40 cal model to get used to shooting a larger round. It did what I wanted it to do while I had it. It went bang everytime I pulled the trigger, so I can't complain to much.

I didn't need much time to think about it (the deal that is). Trading a pistol I haven't fired in 2 years and probably won't fire in another two years for an American classic that I'll use every deer, turkey, rabbit and squirrel season for years to come. That one seemed like a no-brainer to me!

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 06-25-2009, 06:43 AM   #6

Very nice trade. I would have done the same thing in a heart beat. Congrats.

We can't stop here...this is bat country.

Μολὼν λάβε
Res Ipsa Loquitur

Old 06-26-2009, 06:12 AM   #7

Very nice. I'm jealous. I'd take it, but I like my mossbergs.

S.S.