My New Mossberg Shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My New Mossberg Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: -1 reviews

Liked 361 Times on 222 Posts
Likes Given: 645

Default My New Mossberg Shotgun

When it became apparent to me that my MOssberg 930 SPX with ghost rings and 18.5" barrel would not suffice for sporting clays/skeet I decided to get a new shotgun. I loved my 930 so I ordered another. This time I bought the Mossberg 930 Field with 28" ported barrel, 3 chokes, and walnut stock. I also added my BreaKO mercury recoil reducer inside the magazine tube and FireClean treated the internals. I'm pretty excited to get out and shoot this baby in the next couple of weeks.

Owner/Armorer at Argyle Armoring, LLC - FFL 07
NRA Life Member
What do I know? I'm only a professional.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1291 Times on 716 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

Nice............

Don't follow me.....You won't make it.....

Argyle_Armoring Likes This 
Old 06-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #3

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

Out of curiosity did you look into just ordering a longer barrel?

Old 06-27-2014, 04:29 PM   #4
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
Out of curiosity did you look into just ordering a longer barrel?
I did look into that. None of my dstributors had any. Mossberg didn't have any and 10 pages of google search results, gunbroker, and armslist didn't turn up anything either. So now I have a brand new 930.

NRA Life Member

Old 06-27-2014, 04:53 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

The barrels for the field models do not fit the special purpose models with an extended magazine. You won't regret buying the field model. Shooting clays with a synthetic stock just doesn't work. The weight of the wood stock makes the experience much more pleasurable. Especially when you start shooting 100 round sporting clay courses.

Unless you are competing don't buy into the hype of 1,300 fps 1 1/8 oz loads. You only have to break the clay. You don't have to kill the clay.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-27-2014 at 04:58 PM.

Old 06-27-2014, 05:20 PM   #6
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
The barrels for the field models do not fit the special purpose models with an extended magazine. You won't regret buying the field model. Shooting clays with a synthetic stock just doesn't work. The weight of the wood stock makes the experience much more pleasurable. Especially when you start shooting 100 round sporting clay courses.

Unless you are competing don't buy into the hype of 1,300 fps 1 1/8 oz loads. You only have to break the clay. You don't have to kill the clay.
My wife's Beretta A300 Outlander wood stock was hollow so I installed her mercury reducer in the stock. This 930 has a solid wood stock. I didn't feel like drilling out the stock and risk screwing it up so I just installed my mercury reducer in the magazine tube.

Actually I shoot the Federal Top Gun shells 1,145 fps 1 1/8 oz. Low recoil and easy to shoot all day.

NRA Life Member

Old 06-27-2014, 07:23 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1866 Times on 1279 Posts
Likes Given: 690

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle_Armoring View Post
My wife's Beretta A300 Outlander wood stock was hollow so I installed her mercury reducer in the stock. This 930 has a solid wood stock. I didn't feel like drilling out the stock and risk screwing it up so I just installed my mercury reducer in the magazine tube.

Actually I shoot the Federal Top Gun shells 1,145 fps 1 1/8 oz. Low recoil and easy to shoot all day.
It is mostly people that compete that want the high velocity shells. It's not hard for a clay shot from an air trap at 55 mph to slip out to 45 yards before you pick it up. That clay can make the difference between first and second place. If you are shooting for fun it makes no difference if you break that clay or not.

I shoot 3/4 oz loads of #9 shot. They small pellets give me great patterns and recoil is about like a 9mm carbine. You will have to shoot 1 oz loads with the 12 ga to maintain consistent wad pressure.

Once you get used to handicap loads the game seems all to easy with a full power 1 oz load.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 06-27-2014 at 07:26 PM.

Old 06-27-2014, 11:01 PM   #8

Liked 304 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Nice gun, like the look of the stock.

Old 06-28-2014, 12:32 AM   #9

Liked 467 Times on 259 Posts

And here I thought it would be easy to find a barrel. I always see barrels at LGS and cabelas, never looked to see what they are for (I'm guessing 500) just assumed it would be a simple swap out.

It is a very nice looking shotgun by the way.

Old 06-28-2014, 02:33 PM   #10
Cancer Killa
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctshooter View Post
And here I thought it would be easy to find a barrel. I always see barrels at LGS and cabelas, never looked to see what they are for (I'm guessing 500) just assumed it would be a simple swap out.

It is a very nice looking shotgun by the way.
Thank you and swapping with a 930 was impossible.

NRA Life Member