My new 870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum! - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > My new 870 Special Purpose Marine Magnum!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2013, 11:00 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Way ta pimp out yer ride Ultimate_sig...! Can I ask about that stock, it's the one that extends but not folds I assume, how is it to shoot with, recoil and such?

Old 05-25-2013, 11:21 PM   #42

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoshot View Post
Way ta pimp out yer ride Ultimate_sig...! Can I ask about that stock, it's the one that extends but not folds I assume, how is it to shoot with, recoil and such?
Recoil...what recoil, lmao. That's a Phonix kicklite, it takes most of the recoil away and I love it. It's pretty solid as well, they make great products.

Old 05-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #43

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

This is how she's sitten now, with Magpul Forend,w/AFG2 & Inforce light with IR mounted on a Magpul L5 rail. . Mesa Tacital 20" rail/barrel clamp/6 shot side saddle. Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock w/Cheek riser. Magpul MBUS2 flip up front and rear sights. Also switched to the Vang Comp oversized safety and a Non MIN extractor.

image-1113272864.jpg

Old 05-26-2013, 04:37 PM   #44

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzilla View Post
Blue skies, warm weather and Hock pissing in the collective bowel of 870 owners."
Now that's the Freudian Slip of the week, and quite right ol' boy.

I look at it this way: the more parts you change on an 870 Express the less likely the unreliable thing is to get you killed. Of course the most parts you can swap is pretty obvious -- sell the whole thing to some dupe who didn't do his homework.

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-26-2013 at 04:42 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-28-2013, 08:58 PM   #45
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Now that's the Freudian Slip of the week, and quite right ol' boy.

I look at it this way: the more parts you change on an 870 Express the less likely the unreliable thing is to get you killed. Of course the most parts you can swap is pretty obvious -- sell the whole thing to some dupe who didn't do his homework.
Happy to help Hock, Why I called "it" a sign of Spring - 870 owners unwrapping the gun from winter storage, getting them cleaned up for hunting season and ol Hock pissing on their parade.

Well, at least he's not doing it at X-Mas... He is actually providing a public service !?! Hock is actually half a a dynamic duo - he normally plays the role of the little Devil on people's shoulders helping them w "moral & ethical" decisions. He had a brief movie career in the movie - "Animal House."

It's not easy being the repository of all neg knowledge of the 870's...

Last edited by Gonzilla; 05-28-2013 at 09:29 PM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 01:00 AM   #46

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photoshot View Post
Actually quality is subject to the individual item.

Or for that matter try them in another 870 XCS, of which as hard as I've looked I am the only one it seems who's ever had a problem. It's not yer express model or your typical nickle plated MM model, the Marine Magnum XCS was too expensive for Remington to continue making and is mostly a P model with a trynite coating.

Well that's just the point, I cant, especially for what I bought it for.

Ha! Not a bad idea actually except for one problem. They don't make this model anymore and because I do three week long ocean trips by canoe, I can't do without the Trynite coating. Nothing Mossberg makes or Remmington (anymore) comes close to the salt water rust resistance of the MM XCS and when I say I'm canoeing for three weeks at a time... I really mean I'm in a tent for three weeks and I am not engaging in any gun cleaning activities while I'm out there.

Yes, a warning that not all guns can stand up to prolonged salt water exposure without regular maintenance. Ultimately I'll work out the bugs because I need reliability and I want THIS gun. The Mossberg would not stand up to the wear and tare and neglect I'd put it through over a season.

I'm not yer typical weekend warrior car camper.
Cool canoeing (rudered sea kayaking more likely, right?)! Where do you go? And send your special Remington off to one of those customizing places. It sounds worth saving and the good shops have a reputation of knowing what they're doing. I'd restore it to its original profile so they take it more seriously. So it ends up costing twice what you paid for it? Look at it this way...

...that is what Remington should have done and charged in the first place.

Last edited by MattShlock; 05-29-2013 at 01:03 AM.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 05-29-2013, 08:51 PM   #47

Mostly I go up the North Coast of British Columbia, between Bella Bella and Kitimat, but sometimes I'm on the west coast of Vancouver island. I am never in a kayak, which are basically only for people who don't want to spend the time learning how to paddle a canoe.

I dont know of any customization shops where I live but the since the extractor pin was replaced it seems to cycle fine now, I really have to break it in though.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:02 PM   #48

Liked 135 Times on 109 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Nice! Were you ever struck by a turtle and needed medical attention?

Old 05-31-2013, 03:30 AM   #49
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1772 Times on 1092 Posts
Likes Given: 9861

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBall View Post
This is how she's sitten now, with Magpul Forend,w/AFG2 & Inforce light with IR mounted on a Magpul L5 rail. . Mesa Tacital 20" rail/barrel clamp/6 shot side saddle. Mesa Tactical Urbino Stock w/Cheek riser. Magpul MBUS2 flip up front and rear sights. Also switched to the Vang Comp oversized safety and a Non MIN extractor.

Attachment 102827
Jball, okay, just one question. Where are the coffee grinder and the capuchino maker mounting points? I mean holy hell man! How much does that thing weigh? I just can't see where someone would need to add so many extras to a gun. Slip on shell holder, shortened stock, a light, low light sights, and a mag extension fills all my needs.

J\K. I've gotta give it this. It most definitely is Tacticool.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.